Submitted by timothylittle 693d ago | news

Can Sony Salvage the PS Vita?

How will Gamescom 2012 help Sony boost its PS Vita interest and sales? (E3, Industry, PS Vita, PS3)

miyamoto  +   693d ago
"we need to execute with a lot faster speed, which means faster decision-making, faster execution. Those are the things that I’ve stressed over and over," - Kazuo Hirai

Damn right Kaz.
Sony is so slow to adjust.

Unify Sony to act as one coherent laser beam to blast the competition to smithereens!

If they turned the PS3 around I am sure they CAN turn the Vita too. But the question is if they WILL?
#1 (Edited 693d ago ) | Agree(17) | Disagree(4) | Report | Reply
zeeshan  +   693d ago
This whole Cross-purchase thing SHOULD work very well. One of the biggest problems with Vita's slow sales is almost no advertising. I hardly ever see PS Vita ads on the TV. It's a new tech and they should advertise the hell out of this. SONY needs to learn a thing or two from M$ when it comes to advertising.

But I'd say it again, the Cross Purchase move is pretty brilliant. This, in theory, should help move a number of Vita consoles off the shelves.
miyamoto  +   693d ago
I asked Mr.Yoshida if the PS3+PS Vita Bundle is coming this holiday season, so far I have no answer.

If the $150 to $200 PS3 SKU is true they better bundle PS Vita with PS3 because that will be a KILLER COMBO!

They should leverage the PS3 popularity to catapult the Vita into stardom.
#1.1.1 (Edited 693d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(1) | Report
CommonSenseGamer  +   693d ago
Did they announce which games will support cross purchase or how much more expensive they might be versus just buying a PS3 only edition? If the Vita port is bundled "free" how will developers make a profit from it?

Will the Vita games be included on the blu-ray or will it be via an activation code for a download off PSN? Activation code will likely be required either way to ensure games can't be onsold.

I think cross purchase is good for "single" PS3 owners who maybe thinking about getting a vita or already have one but means little for everyone else. One thing is for sure, it definitely has the possibility of artifically inflating Vita software sales numbers.
#1.1.2 (Edited 693d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(1) | Report
DA_SHREDDER  +   693d ago
They've sold over 60 million with the advertising they've already done. They aren't Microsoft, they let their software do the talking. Before you know it, they will have so many exclusives they are gonna rule the whole freakin gaming world.
showtimefolks  +   693d ago
i agree with you if they can make the ps3 work and sell well and 3rd parries to support it a lot more than Vita can be good too. After yesterday's gamescom i fully believe in Sony and Vita, imagine this they can offer all their 1st and 2nd parties on Vita for free if you buy it for ps3. Think of it like this they can increase the sales and value of Vita along with moving ps3 units along with ps3 software

I think they are on the right track

and people stop acting like ps-vita has no games in 10 months vita will have access of 60 games and sony had the best launch lineup in their history. I think issue was they released so much up front and than had nothing to show for it. Media in general only cares about games when they launch than they forget about them and say what's next

if anything sony will learn from ps3 and now Vita for ps4 its that you need to spread the games over few months instead of giving 15 up front and have a developer friendly console.

let's see i think KAZ can put sony on the right track, he just took over so its gonna take some time. Look at our government it took bush 8 years to mess everything up and now will take us 20 to fix everything if we can

also sony lost a lot in last quarter because of the exchange rate don't forget that because when it comes to money exchange rate is a big issue and big thing
#1.2 (Edited 693d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
boybato  +   693d ago
I think everyone would agree that at least Sony is on the right track considering cross play, cross purchase and ps+ integration. Not to mention that most IPs are just on its way.

so in a sense, the best is yet to come.
#2 (Edited 693d ago ) | Agree(9) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
victoryscreeeeeech  +   693d ago
Aren't they gonna release 20 Ps1 classics, if and whn they do, the vita wont be as much as a nadir as it is now. But yes, they can still salvage the vita, Nintendo salvaged the 3ds with a price drop. Sony needs to find a way to get people to buy cuz I don't think Sony can do a price drop right now. I dunno if The best is yet to come for those who bought a vita but it still definitly be prosperous.
#3 (Edited 693d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
Subzero200  +   693d ago
"Can Sony Salvage the PS Vita?"

nope

"The best is yet to come for those who bought a vita"

lol keep telling yourself that.
#4 (Edited 693d ago ) | Agree(10) | Disagree(34) | Report | Reply
boybato  +   693d ago
Envy is best defined as a resentful emotion that "occurs when a person lacks another's (perceived) superior quality, achievement or possession and wishes that the other lacked it.

okmrman  +   693d ago
trying to sound intelligent huh
yet you quoted wikipedia
HarryMasonHerpderp  +   693d ago
Wow constructive criticism there Subzero200...
Flatbattery  +   693d ago
Please elaborate!
mcstorm  +   693d ago
Subzero200 I am not a big Sony fan in terms of which console I use the most as I like the 360 over the PS3 more (even though I own 2 of each) but I have to say im impressed by the PSV. It has not quite got the same amount of games as the 3DS in terms of quality but it has got some must own game and the MP on Resistance is very good imo one of the best MP FPS games ive played in terms of fun.

I think Sony have work to do in terms of getting a mixed bag of IP's like the 3DS but with games like LBP, LBK Karting, KZ, All Stars ect coming to the PSV it is going to give everyone a game to look forward to.

Everyone was saying the 3DS was dead in the water and it had sold more than the PSV in this point of its life but look how that has turned out.

Sony need to start pushing the PSV in everyone's faces like Apple, Microsoft and Nintendo do with there devices and once they do this and have games for everyone sales will pickup for the device.

I said at the Start I expect the 3DS to sell double the PSV when they were announced as Nintendo own the portable market as they have the right games for it and I don't ever see Sony or anyone else taking it from them but I also said by the end of its gen the PSV will of out sold the PSP's total life number and I think if Sony can do this they will be happy.
FunAndGun  +   693d ago
Subzero, now just plain zero.
chrisarsenalsavart  +   693d ago
a memory card should Be included, even if it s small one like 1 gig.
people shoud be able to play a game staright out of the box.
HarryMasonHerpderp  +   693d ago
Couldn't agree more. I think the memory cards are the worst idea Sony has made for the Vita.They're just too expensive for such small amounts of storage. I get the whole piracy thing but I don't see the reason why they cost so much.
I had to settle for a 16gb which cost me £30.
#5.1 (Edited 693d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
FunAndGun  +   693d ago
The memory card prices are pretty much my only reason for not owning a Vita yet.

I just don't think memory should ever cost that much at this point in time.
raWfodog  +   693d ago
It would have been even better if they kept it so that you could use any standard SD memory card thats out on the market, thereby giving people the option to use any size memory card that was suitable for their specific needs.
CommonSenseGamer  +   693d ago
More like 4GB as a minimum. Can't do much with 1GB in terms of buying content off PSN.
g-nome  +   693d ago
Seriously , can some games websites salvage their credibility ?
chrisarsenalsavart  +   693d ago
keep telling myself that psp sold 77 million unit so far and keep going strong.
Subzero200  +   693d ago
um....ok dead system but.....ok

"constructive criticism"

aww lol u guys...
#8 (Edited 693d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(20) | Report | Reply
HarryMasonHerpderp  +   693d ago
Are you like 12 years old or something?
boybato  +   693d ago
Nope. I think its just that his mom won't buy him any consoles.
neoMAXMLC  +   693d ago
I'm not even sure how you managed to put together such a poorly written comment. It's like you just typed out the first things that popped into your head.

Little crowded in the attic I see eh?
chrisarsenalsavart  +   693d ago
um ok dead system that still available in stores, that still have games coming out for it and that sells 40000 units/week 8 years after launching
um! ok! um! ok! bzzzbzzzzz subzero200 brain doesn,t compute.

subzero200 real name is bill o,reilly from foxnews
#8.3 (Edited 693d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Hicken  +   693d ago
It's not in need of "salvaging" just yet. Does it need to do better, sales wise? Sure. But it's not some wreck on the bottom of the ocean that needs to be carefully dredged up.

More like it just needs a shiny new paint job; all the parts are in working order and mint condition. And between cross buy and everything else, that paint's starting to look quite nice.
trickman888   693d ago | Trolling | show | Replies(1)
kingofe3  +   693d ago
As far as saying from what Gamescom brought will increase sales, then no. Crossbuy only seems to benefit PS3 and Vita owners.

Why would I buy a Vita just to play some games I already own on the PS3 on the go, if what's on the Vita already doesn't interested me enough to buy the system already? It's a step in the right direction and I like the idea, but as far as system selling goes, I don't see it.

But I can't say that Vita owners are not happy or satisfied with what was shown. They have much to look forward to and play. Aside from Call of Duty: Black Ops Declassified that is.
#11 (Edited 693d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(6) | Report | Reply
quality_rules   693d ago | Spam
Sgt_Slaughter  +   693d ago
They need to start pushing the Vita more and more and more. Letting it go by the wayside at every conference and making time for the stupid as **** Wonderbook is going to slowly kill the Vita.

Sony, what you did at Gamescom is what you should have been doing since E3. Roll out a bunch of new things to entice newer buyers and current owners to buy the new games. Who would pass up a free copy for the Vita if they have a PS3?

I know I wouldn't!
#13 (Edited 693d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
YoungPlex  +   693d ago
Not if they continue at this pace they won't! Please, feel free to disagree, but it won't change the fact that Vita's are moving slower than a fat kid on crutches. They need to act now before Nintendo and other portable tablet devices completely flood the market... I'm interested in a game like Souls Sacrifice but have to wait, and wait, and wait, and by that time my interest will probably be on something else. Same thing happened with Gravity Rush; I know its a decent game but, I eventually lost interest and moved on.

My point is that the gaming market moves fast, something that sparks your interest gets easily replaced by something else daily and one thing I learned about business is this; you never want to keep a client waiting, you have do everything in your power to keep them interested and move fast. If you think that they need you and they'll sit around and wait, your wrong! Giving them too much time to think makes them become more cautious and think twice about it.

As much as people hate to admit it, Sony needs to move faster and Vita needs some type of price drop. Look at this weeks #'s for the 3DS, 3DSXL, and Vita... It's like 16:1 ratio! Games help but so does the price of the hardware, especially those damn memory cards... Whoopee! you get free digital versions of Vita games that are up to 4 gigs big, after the purchase of the PS3 version. Now your going to need a few freaken $100 32gig cards, pretty expensive...
#14 (Edited 693d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply

Batman Arkham Knight: 10 Rumours You Need To Know

17m ago - Here are the top ten rumours (read: facts… ish) that you need to know about Batman Arkham Knight!... | PC

An Introduction to Supraball | Our new favourite eSport

30m ago - Dealspwn writes: "Ahead of this week's Game Night, Carl & Matt got together to introduce Suprabal... | PC

Want to test Valve's upcoming Team Fortress 2 maps before it goes live?

34m ago - MWEB GameZone writes: "This is player's chance to help guide the direction of TF2. Players will g... | PC

Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair Second English Trailer

1h ago - NIS America has released the second official trailer of Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair. The ga... | PS Vita

PS4 Game Release Dates

Now - For the most up-to-date release date info for PS4 games check VGReleases.com | Promoted post

Hyrule Warriors – Skyward Sword Content Screenshots

1h ago - The official Hyrule Warriors website was just updated with a whole heap of new screenshots in rel... | Wii U