Submitted by Bizzah 719d ago | news

Next Xbox to arrive before 2014, Microsoft ad suggests

A job vacancy for a senior role at Microsoft's entertainment division has suggested that the next generation Xbox will be released before 2014.
The advert, seeking a Central Marketing Group director, claims that "over the next eighteen months Microsoft will release new versions of all of our most significant products including Windows (Client, Server, Phone and Azure), Office and Xbox, along with completely new offerings like Microsoft Surface".

The statement suggests that Microsoft will launch the next Xbox before 2014. CVG sources have previously suggested the system's release date will likely fall in the latter half of 2013. Development kits were issued to several third party studios in the UK at the start of 2012, the sources have said. (Microsoft, Next-Gen, Xbox 360)

Alternative Sources
aviator189  +   719d ago
I'm guessing a e3 2013 reveal and a 2013 winter/fall launch date. If that ends up being true, then I'm pretty pumped as I really don't want to wait until 2014 for a new console.
sikbeta  +   719d ago
Rumors say Q4-2013, perfect time to launch a new console, say November :D what I really want to see is the amount of RAM it has, "leaked" Dev-kits = 8GB/12GB but tech guys told me that those kits always have twice the amount of RAM, so 4-to-6GB sounds pretty good ^_^
EVILDEAD360  +   719d ago
Nothing here means that they are going to release it before 2014.

But, Microsoft is definately in a great place between releasing W8, Surface, the Dash Smart Glass, and ultimately the 720.

The system will definately show at E3..but if Wii-u doesnt dominate this year then it remains to be seen what'll happen.

They are poised for a great Fall and Holiday..but next year is also going to be huge.

You are talking about Halo 4 and Call of Duty being relavant all through 2013.

Then you are talking about a year that will be dominated by the release of GTA V.

Then you have heavy hitters like the Gears of War prequel and the Bungie exclusive shooter.

Not to mention Bioshock: Infinite,
Battlefield 4 vs. Modern Warfare 4..just to name a few.

That keeps the 360 relevant for another year..the E3 reveal and some next gen game trailers will keep gamers at bay through the release of the new system and it also allows Turn 10, Rare, Epic, CryteK, Rare, EA, Ubisoft and the rest another entire year with the kits.

2014 makes sense for price of console, launch of games, and impact as the games at that point will clearly be heads and tails over the current gen and maybe even the Wii-u as well.

But time will tell..there will be a billion articles on the subject all year long

Evil
#1.1.1 (Edited 719d ago ) | Agree(14) | Disagree(14) | Report
The_Infected  +   719d ago
If Nextbox has 6gb ram that would be perfect although 4 is still ok.
#1.1.2 (Edited 719d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(9) | Report
k-dillinger   719d ago | Trolling | show | Replies(3)
Bigpappy  +   719d ago
I think this time they will release Oct 2013. I believe they will be prepared with more stock and try to get the "Black Friday" crowd in the US. M$ loves to break sales records, and with do their best in 2013 to do just that.
This console will have some impressive features no doubt. It will be heavily media focused, and M$ already has kits out there. This means the launch games will be there in spades.

A new xbox will not mean support for 360 stops upon release.

Edit: k-dillinger you are trolling; angry for no good reason; making no sense with your rant; and wrong. That is all I would say to you.
#1.3 (Edited 719d ago ) | Agree(11) | Disagree(7) | Report | Reply
KMCROC54  +   719d ago
I think they will continue support for 360 for about 5 years after they release its replacement .
#1.3.1 (Edited 719d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(10) | Report
spicelicka  +   718d ago
They better release it by then, i swear it's been like 7 years since xbox 360. I'm tired of this generation, give us a damn new console already.
#1.3.2 (Edited 718d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(1) | Report
KMCROC54  +   719d ago
Am going a step further , they hype all the way to E3 reveal during conference & then announce it for sale the next day like they did the slim model. Now that
would throw the industry for a loop.
KMCROC54  +   719d ago
You folks do know it not a far fetched idea that can very well happen. just for the disagrees i hope it plays out like this , cause i got my CC all ready for that buy on day one.
shadow2797  +   719d ago
Ask Sega how well that strategy worked out for them.
avengers1978  +   719d ago
I suspect the same thing... well i sorta think they will reveal at there own event, but I 100% thing nextbox and PS4 to launch between septemper 2013 and december 2013... then again sony likes to come out with stuff at weird times so maybe PS4 May 2014
MoreRPG  +   719d ago
The next xbox will most likely release on november 2013 but i dont think we'll see the ps4 until 2014 is not wise to have two consoles releasing at the same time
#1.5.1 (Edited 719d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(1) | Report
darkride66  +   719d ago
I'm not that excited for launch this time around. The Xbox was by far my favorite console last gen (sorry PS2 fans) and I was right there to get my 360 at launch, but bad console after bad console completely spoiled my experience as a 360 owner and I'm not about to make that same mistake again.

I'm always an early adopter but this time I'm content to sit back and watch for a year to make sure they iron out all the bugs. And that, prudent as it is given my experiences with the 360 hardware, sucks all the anticipation out of a new console launch for me.
avengers1978  +   719d ago
did they ever iron out the bugs in the 360, I heard the newer models were better, but am not 100% sure about that. I was there with you I bought two 360's that died, so I was done with it.
hellvaguy  +   719d ago
"did they ever iron out the bugs in the 360"

Welcome to 5 years ago. A fresh trolling idea, would be at least original I would think.
nukeitall  +   718d ago
@darkride66

Isn't exactly known to be a pro Xbox 360 and more like the opposite, so I wouldn't really expect you to be excited about the next Xbox.

However, I'm sure you didn't mind PSN after it was hacked.
Outside_ofthe_Box  +   718d ago
lol @ nukeitall bringing up PSN out of the blue... not that I'm surprise though since nukitall isn't exactly known to be pro PlayStation 3 and more like the opposite..

darkride66 isn't exactly wrong for being cautious of the next Xbox due to potential hardware issues. People should be cautious of all consoles having potential hardware issues next gen. It's no different than people being cautious of buying a game day one due to potential DLC milking or GOTY editions. Not that rational thinking matters or anything.
#1.6.4 (Edited 718d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(0) | Report
avengers1978  +   716d ago
@hellvaguy i see why you think I'm trolling but it was a serious question... I have not bought a new design xbox and heard they were better, but don't know for sure... I did own 2 360 both died... I have thought of re-buying but would only do so if those problems were solved
TGM  +   719d ago
6GB of RAM is definitely future proof, but bear in mind how long 512MB has lasted on the 360, especially when all the console uses it for is running the game and the dashboard.
MostJadedGamer  +   718d ago
Its obvious the 720 is coming in 2013. The big question mark is the PS4. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the PS4 comes out in 2014.
greenpowerz  +   719d ago
Most people already speculate the holiday of next year. The leaked docs seemed to indicate a real plan saying this.
ChunkyLover53  +   719d ago
Why on earth would Microsoft give Nintendo more time alone on the market with the only next gen console? Of course the Xbox 720 is launching next year.

No way does Microsoft even wait for E3 to reveal it, I'm sure we'll get a reveal in March or so. E3 doesn't allow enough time to intro a new console and games. The first Xbox and the Xbox 360 were both introduced by Microsoft at their own shows.
Dlacy13g  +   719d ago
Agreed, I really wouldn't be shocked to see an industry invite event around the same time as GDC. Maybe they hold it the week before or right after and allow devs to talk up the new tech at GDC that will be in the next Xbox.

Then come E3 they are talking games and feature of the system that will certainly take the wind out of Nintendo's sails considerably.

The interesting party in all of this to me is Sony... what will they be doing next year? We know Nintendo for sure and while not official by any stretch we know pretty much 2013 will be MS's next xbox timeframe. So...what does Sony do? Do they just announce like they did this gen and wait a full year? And lets not forget Ouya and Onlive... Ouya should be out (according to them) and Onlive really will need to make a major move with Steam growing the way they are and new console hardware coming that will be pushing into the cloud and streaming for sure. 2013 shall be quite the chess game for the industry.
Zhipp  +   719d ago
I'm pretty sure we all guessed this. I realize this gen has lasted a long time, but nine years? That would really be pushing it.
Besides, there's no way M$ would let Nintendo have a 1 year advantage over them--regardless of specs.
Belking  +   719d ago
Next gen xbox for next year. Sounds good to me.
Dlacy13g  +   719d ago
Lets see...what comes before 2014? Ah that's right 2013. This falls in line with pretty much what every analyst, industry insider and "anonymous" developer has been saying all along.
AngelicIceDiamond  +   719d ago
Makes sense, also MS usually reveals exclusives for the upcoming holiday season. MS did not reveal anything regarding the line-up of holiday 2013 at E3.

The next major game Gears Of War in March. AAA arcade games coming out next year as well. So that leads me to believe that next gen will be revealed next year, most definitely.

Its getting closer and closer people.
#7 (Edited 719d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
Lvl_up_gamer  +   719d ago
I can't wait for the next gen to start. If the wii u is coming out next year then the 720 will be out soon after with the ps4 right on its heels. I already have my money for the 720 and ps4, still on the fence regarding the wii u. Would like to know more spec wise about the wii u.
CaJuaLFeatPuFF  +   719d ago
Green Ring Of Death Part Two here we go lmfao
Belking  +   719d ago
Don't forget the 6 billion dollar loss and network failure too...lol
hellvaguy  +   719d ago
"Don't forget the 6 billion dollar loss "

Sounds way more like Sonys current financial portfolio. Nice troll attempt though, but you were blocked by thier current hardships, which you just tripped over and fell flat on your face.
#9.1.1 (Edited 719d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(1) | Report
Zhipp  +   719d ago
Considering that this console more-than-likely won't be rushed out like the 360, I see no reason for it to have the same issues that it's predecessor did.
Also, I'd say Microsoft has probably learned their lesson from the major shitstorm that was generated by the x360's failrate and all the money it costed them.
thehitman  +   719d ago
I dont see how MS can go another year without releasing another xbox. They need fresh looking games because as of now they have completely nothing. Most likely they will get a year jump on Sony again as well if its released in 2013.
greenpowerz  +   719d ago
Premature e speculation.
MSFT has Nothing? They have more games this holiday for everybody in many genres, than anybody else LOL. I'm assuming you're talking about MSFT not having games they boast about that never really come out?

Everybody knows MSFT doesn't announce games 3 to 5 years before they're ready. Mostly a year by year notice/announcement
#10.1 (Edited 719d ago ) | Agree(16) | Disagree(10) | Report | Reply
IWentBrokeForGaming  +   719d ago
They don't announce their games that long in advance because their exclusives aren't as polished/better looking as their competitions aka Sony!
blue_flowers  +   719d ago
i firmly believe the next xbox will be out around November 2013. although this is just my opinion. i also get the feeling this next gen for Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft will be very reminiscent of the original xbox, playstation 2, and gamecube generation. hopefully that means the amount of diverse games there is to be offered because that generation had a game for almost anything!
#11 (Edited 719d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
MrMister  +   719d ago
I liked the N64, PS One, Saturn, and DreamCast era better. Much better games, and A LOT of them to boot.
#11.1 (Edited 719d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
blue_flowers  +   719d ago
that was a great era indeed, i loved my n64, PS One, and Saturn!
militant07  +   719d ago
18 months means before february 2014.
ouyaobouya   719d ago | Spam
DEATHxTHExKIDx  +   719d ago
How strong is this thing gonna be?
Ben_Grimm  +   719d ago
I still say late, late next year. 360 still has the new Halo 4, Gears Fable and Forza to drop. Not to mention the new 3rd party IP's that still need to come out for each system.
lorcraven  +   719d ago
I thought it was pretty much a given that nextbox would be out holiday 2013, I'm surprised people are still debating this.

Plus with cod being the biggest thing in console gaming right now it would make sense from a business standpoint to release next gen alongside the first next gen cod, ie november (Cod's annual release schedule). That way they can guarantee maximum release day sales of the console.

I also think the chances of the nextbox being at next years e3 is as much a sure thing as the sun rising in the morning.
BABYLEG  +   719d ago
That sun does rise every morning
Roccetarius  +   719d ago
Maybe MS will announce it before E3? Just to steal the buzz for a few months, then some more when it's shown.
WeskerChildReborned  +   719d ago
So that pretty much guarantees a 2013 showing and release date.
Droid Control  +   719d ago
Next gen cod? lol

Activision will just port the 360 version of COD over to the 720 next year with a little more shine. I expect a lot of this to be happening in the first 6 months of the 720 lifespan.
007Bond  +   719d ago
Cant wait next xbox!
representj  +   719d ago
at the same this doesn't make sense for next gen to roll by next year since so many blockbuster games are coming out for the current gen consoles. I think they should wait till 2014 because that will out alter current gen software sales. If thats the case then why are they releasing so many blockbuster titles for current gen next year, i find that very funny lol
sandman224  +   719d ago
They'll release it on new years eve. Knowing how they like to milk the 360 for every penny.
Relientk77  +   719d ago
I am expecting it to release in Fall/Holiday season 2013
IWentBrokeForGaming  +   719d ago
MS needs to better their image overseas, they NEED Japan...

You can't drive a car with 3 wheels can you?
NoobJobz  +   719d ago
Yep. One centered in the front and two back wheels.
stage88  +   719d ago
The more NextBox news I hear just gets me more pumped for the PS4. Sony won't let MS get the jump on them this time.
cedaridge  +   719d ago
Really getting tired of this type articles regardind xbox 720 and ps4. I would rather see this information in 2013 at least I could maybe get hyped but it's August 2012. No xbox 720 or ps4 in sight. psn: cedaridge / xbl: cedar4Thunder
#26 (Edited 719d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(4) | Report | Reply
demetreHG  +   719d ago
The articles are nothing but Epic Failures and you actually think that MS will reveal any info regarding " Next-Gen" well my friends good luck ( no news t'ill late 2013)

And consoles won't be late 2014-15 ,and please spare with this WII-U crap that it will take the lead Nintendo is history .So chill out play you're current consoles and relax let them do the work and reveal when they are ready

I personally can wait another 6 years =D
shaun mcwayne  +   719d ago
Im worried that the next gen consoles will be designed to constantly take your cash, current gen has evolved into this through themes, dlc, avatar stuff. Next gen will have all this in mind from the start, so even if they sell the console for 100 bucks they will get our cash from micro transactions for apps, bells, whistles and 3d remakes of hd remakes.

does anyone else feel this way?
ajax17  +   718d ago
I used to only care about PS4 rumors... but I'll take anything on the next-gen consoles I can get right now!!!

What You Need to Know about the GameStop Credit Card Before You Freak Out

34m ago - Twinfinite: "There's been a lot of feelings swirling around the rumored GameStop credit card toda... | Culture

Grand Theft Auto V's script was 3500 pages Long

48m ago - We all know Grand Theft Auto V had a bunch of dialogue, but how much paper does it actually take... | PC

The Last Remnant and More Added to Humble Bundle

58m ago - The Last Remnant, Just Cause, and more Hitman games have been added to the Humble Square Enix bun... | PC

Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga Spin-Off Novels Coming To U.S.

58m ago - A series of books based on the Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga series is being published i... | Culture

Looking for a great Pokemon Community?

Now - Look no further. Join us at the BulbaGarden Forums, the best community for everything Pokemon | Promoted post

ShopTo Lists Tentative Release Date For Licensed GameCube Controllers

58m ago - UK retailer ShopTo has hit headlines for the second time in two days, first for featuring Hyrule... | GameCube