Submitted by Game-Modo 705d ago | opinion piece

Games That Have Made This Generation Great

This generation has blessed the world with some of the industry's best games yet, and the guys at Game-Modo have each chosen two games that they believe have made this generation of games great.

What games have made this generation great for you? (PC, PS3, Wii, Xbox 360)

Xperia_ion  +   705d ago
#1 (Edited 705d ago ) | Agree(14) | Disagree(34) | Report | Reply
slixshot  +   705d ago
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
Mass Effect Series
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Batman: AA and AC
... you know what, this is kind of pointless. There are so many damn amazing games this generation.
LOGICWINS  +   705d ago
Getting Batman: AC today. So excited :D
PoSTedUP  +   705d ago
mgs4
killone2
motorstormPR
codmwf3/blackops
gta4 online
MGSPW
socomFTB3
GT5
Persona3portable
gravityrush
DebateMaster  +   705d ago
Exactly too many too count. Just like other gens.
BattleAxe  +   705d ago
- Gran Turismo 5
#1.1.4 (Edited 705d ago ) | Agree(7) | Disagree(15) | Report
ps3boyy   705d ago | Spam
nukeitall  +   705d ago
@ps3boyy

LOL!

Bubbles up for the funny comment.

On top of my head: Mass Effect, Gears of War, CoD, Halo, StarCraft, Kinect Sports, Wii Sports, Mario Party and Ninja Gaiden 2.
decrypt  +   705d ago
Witcher 2,
Shogun 2,
Dota 2,
Crysis (PC version),
Metro 2033 (PC version),
Max Payne 3,
Battle Field 3 (PC version),
Dragon age Origins (PC version),
Left 4 Dead 2 (PC version),
Stalker Series,
Torchlight,
Shogun 2.
miyamoto  +   704d ago
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves the most honored game this generation.
yess  +   704d ago
Not to forget Just Cause 2
Hicken  +   704d ago
@nukeitall
Not surprised to see NOT ONE PS3 game on your list. I'm not gonna make a list, myself, but if I DID, there'd be at least ONE 360 game on it. There'd also be at least one DS game, a PSP game, a Wii game, etc.(I haven't played any of the recent PC games, so I can't add one personally.)

C'mon, man.
BrutallyBlunt  +   704d ago
Ha, the guys wastes his one bubble arguing over somebody that never listed one PS3 game. Now that's funny. In the actual article they list Heavy Rain, Little Big Planet and Uncharted but he doesn't care about that. Nope, he cares about somebody within the comment section who doesn't post one PS3 game.

Why didn't you go after PoSTedUp? He/she didn't list any XBOX360 or Wii only games. Yet you have the audacity to go after me for apparently being biased? Give me a break.

Here's my list:

Mass Effect
Uncharted
Mario Galaxy
Bioshock
Borderlands
Dead Space
Batman (both Arkum and Asylum)

To me they represent the best of the current generation.
#1.1.11 (Edited 704d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(1) | Report
WeskerChildReborned  +   705d ago
Oh my god, so many disagrees aha.

On topic, their are quite some games that i think have made this generation great that i don't want to list since their is so many for me.
LAZL0-Panaflex  +   705d ago
Crysis2
ALLWRONG  +   705d ago
:D
2v1  +   704d ago
Long lists , but wher is DemonSouls
showtimefolks  +   704d ago
mgs 4 started this gen for me with a bang also heavenly sword was a awesome game very very under rated. Very high production values

killzone 2 is my favorite FPS of this or past gen
yakuza series is my favorite open world games
heavy rain is different yet great
dues ex was a surprise game really great
mass effect 1 was great 2nd was the best 3rd was meh
uncharted series my favorite of this gen
red dead redemption best game of decade
god of war 3 best looking console game to date

rainbow six vegas was great sequel was rushed

resistance 2 had the best 8 player co-op so it shocked me pissed me when insomniac removed it in resistance 3

zipper interactive closing their doors was the saddest moment of this gen, i mean they made some of the best ps2 games. where is socom 2 hd sony?

where is a great FF series SE?
What has happened to you capco?

where are the Japanese developers it seems like they are a decade Back from us
otherZinc  +   704d ago
Leaving:

Mass Effect series,

Gears of War series,
&
Assassins Creed series

off this list makes this site ridiculous.
#1.7 (Edited 704d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
LX-General-Kaos  +   705d ago
Super Mario Galaxy, and Xenoblade Chronicles were by far the greatest experiences of this generation. I could not imagine the gaming industry now without them. Both of which were made possible exclusively on the Nintendo Wii entertainment system

Rated E For Everyone
ps3boyy   705d ago | Spam
MysticStrummer  +   705d ago
The gaming industry would be just fine without those games.
ps3boyy   705d ago | Spam
HammadTheBeast  +   705d ago
I politely disagree, I feel that there are lots of games that have brought much more in terms of entertainment and industry change to gaming as a whole.

Littlebigplanet (*Sackboy Wave*)

Related image(s)
miyamoto  +   704d ago
Great games, but Kinect Sports?
They wont be remembered like Uncharted 2: Among Thieves the Most Award Honored Game of All Time.
#2.4 (Edited 704d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
hennessey86  +   705d ago
early this gen
would be the darkness, oblivion uncharted, heavenly sword, gears of war and yet it gets better and better every year. We are blessed
kuufff   705d ago | Spam
Halo:ODST/Reach
Mafia 2
Shadows of the Damned
Battlefield 3
Metro 2033
Dragon Age:Origins

This was definitely a fine generation as far as games go.
#5 (Edited 705d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(8) | Report | Reply
NastyLeftHook0  +   705d ago
Deus Ex: Human Revolution is a master piece.
SlapHappyJesus  +   705d ago
I have my issues with the game, sure. But they did a much better job at revitalizing the series than I was expecting.

Easily one of the best games I have played this generation.
#5.1.1 (Edited 705d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(4) | Report
Xperia_ion  +   705d ago
Dam how could I forget bioshock
#5.2 (Edited 705d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
demon/dark souls
dragons dogma
batman series
#5.3 (Edited 705d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
grothian   705d ago | Spam
eliteslaya13  +   705d ago
Bioshock, Killzone 2, Halo 3, Uncharted 2, Heavy Rain, Just Cause 2(Best open world action game of this gen, easily), Oblivion, Call of Duty 4(Kick-started a monster), The Orange Box(Yes, I know it's a bundle. But it's a $60 bundle! Or was), and the best RPG of this gen: Fallout 3.
#7 (Edited 705d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(7) | Report | Reply
grothian   705d ago | Spam
ChunkyLover53  +   705d ago
So many its hard to list them all, but my first true next gen experience was Gears Of War, that just blew me away.

Gears Of War
Uncharted 2
CoD4
Halo 3
Red Dead Redemption
Batman Arkham Asylum
Skyrim
Mario galaxy
Zelda Skyward Sword
Wii Sports

Just so many to list really.
Projekt7tuning  +   705d ago
@ ChunkyLover53
I agree with you, I too think Gears should have been on there. That was the first wow factor I got from this gen too. It really brought the whole cover system to new level. Now nearly every shooter has copied it.

Mario galaxy
Zelda Skyward Sword
Those were great. They made me feel like a kid again lol.
prototypeknuckles  +   705d ago
little big planet 1 & 2
mirrors edge
infamous 1 & 2
unchrted 2
fallout 3 & new vegas
darksiders
ass creed 2
prince of persia 08
madworld
batman AA & AC
sly 4
ratchet and clank a crack in time
playstation all stars
smash bros brawl
bayonetta
mortal kombat
epic mickey
tomb raider
last of us
cgoodno  +   705d ago
Borderlands
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Kingdoms of Amalur
Mass Effect 1
Skyrim
OmniSlashPT  +   705d ago
Uncharted 2 (SP) and CoD (MP) were the most influential games this generation...atleast in every FPS/TPS or action game (but even in RPG's and other genres).
oldfriend86  +   705d ago
Get CoD out of those lists. Though I agree about Wii Sports and Portal choices.

FallOut/Skyrim and Batman Arkham games are also good mentioning. Heavy Rain was cool in the sense that it was basically a glorified movie. I want more of that.
Conzul  +   705d ago
Heavy Rain
Uncharted 2
Portal & 2
inFamous & 2
Journey

When / after playing these games, I really had to let a breath out and think about just how far its come. I hope next generation people stop competing in the eye-candy department and focus on stories/gameplay. GFX has reached 80/20
oldfriend86  +   705d ago
Good point. I forgot about Journey.
Conzul  +   705d ago
The "disagree" trolls are out in force today, aren't they?
grothian   705d ago | Spam
ame22  +   705d ago
Bioshock, RDR, MGS4, Portal 2, UC2, ME2, Deus Ex:HR and many more.
#14 (Edited 705d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(6) | Report | Reply
FarCryLover182  +   705d ago
Heres my list:

ALL OF THEM

Without some games, this gen wouldn't be the same.
DEATHxTHExKIDx  +   705d ago
why do most of these comments have More diagrees than agrees? Most of what these comments listed are all great games.
oldfriend86  +   705d ago
Disagree fairies like to do that. It also happens when you say something good about Gear of War/Halo/CoD and say anything bad about MGS/Sony Battle Royale.

Personally, I find it rather humorous sometimes, but the disagree button is useless. It's too easy to just hit the button. A real man would back up his disagreement (respectfully).

That said, I look forward to the massive amount of disagrees I get for this.
girevik  +   705d ago
I agree :) I think if you hit disagree the only way for it to stick is to comment why you disagree.
smashcrashbash  +   705d ago
Right like when you say something bad about Nintendo in a Nintendo article you don't get a ton of disagrees too. Just stop the Sony fanboy BS you are trying imply. You are not being clever.
linkratos  +   705d ago
I'm going to be as objective as possible, and even ignore the dislike I have for some of these games:

Portal 1 and 2
Oblivion and Skyrim
Smash Bros. Brawl
Red Dead Redemption
Mass Effect 2
#17 (Edited 705d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(4) | Report | Reply
linkratos  +   705d ago
for the disagrees: what in the list annoyed you?
YodaCracker  +   705d ago
Rockstar's games have been some of my favorite this gen. It's hard to top the quality of titles like:

Grand Theft Auto IV
Red Dead Redemption
Grand Theft Auto: Episodes From Liberty City
L.A. Noire
Max Payne 3

Other great games of this gen, in my opinion:

Super Mario Galaxy
Uncharted
Gears of War
Dead Space
Forza Motorsport
Assassin's Creed
Rainbow Six Vegas
Alan Wake
LittleBigPlanet
Portal
Mass Effect
Elder Scrolls
Fallout
BioShock

And there have been tons of great downloadable games, some of which have given me more value and enjoyment than full retail games. I can't possibly go without mentioning:

LIMBO
Pixle junk shooter
Twisted metal
Mortal kombat
God of war 3
resistance 2 and 3
ajax17  +   705d ago
Seriously, BIOSHOCK didn't make the list. Wow. But Wii sports did...
miyamoto  +   704d ago
Yeah and Kinect Sports too made that list!
StrongMan  +   705d ago
Heavy Rain(the best and only interactive drama)
Uncharted 2(highest rated 3rd person shooter of all time and most decorated game of all time)
Killzone 2(best graphics of any FPS of all time)
God of War III(highest rated and highest selling hack & slasher of all time)
Gran Turismo 5(highest selling racing series of all time)
Little Big Planet 1(the innovator of play,create,share and higest rated and highest selling HD platformer)
MLB: The Show series(Highest selling and highest rated baseball series of all time)
Journey(highest rated game of 2012)
Infamous 2(highest rated open world exclusive this gen)
Demon's Souls(highest rated exclusive RPG this gen)
Metal Gear Solid 4(highest rated and highest selling stealth game this gen)
Bioshock
Mass Effect 2
Limbo
Braid
GTA4: Episodes
kagon01  +   705d ago
None, most games are disposable...
Munky  +   705d ago
Only owning a 360 I can only speak for games available on the 360, but here is my list:

Gears series
Bishock
Dead Space
Mass series
Shadow complex
Braid
Batman Arkham series
Read Dead Redemptiom
COD (as much as some people might disagree, the series a monster)
Limbo
Portal series
Fora
Fallout
Assassins Creed
Oblivion series
#23 (Edited 705d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
SegaKnuckles86  +   704d ago
I disagree with MOST of this list, to be honest. Uncharted 1 is probably the best game that you came up with. I am probably the least fanboyish of all PS3 owners on the entire planet but Uncharted 1 really is a good game. It was a game that actually had some depth and meaning, and a game I enjoyed playing on multiple playthroughs. Uncharted 2 on the other hand certainly wasn't as good...by a long shot. Getting the platinum was painful and the story was dull and boring. It was also heavily influenced by Call of Duty with all the military vehicles and weapons. Only thing better about Uncharted 2 was the graphics, and graphics don't make a good game, it just makes a game LOOK good to blind the masses from thinking it is a mediocre excuse of a third person shooter with light platforming elements.
DaPrintz  +   704d ago
99.9% of players disagree. That game is still a benchmark for consoles rivaled only by a handful of other exclusives anywhere. And that's even debatable.
SegaKnuckles86  +   704d ago
How was it a benchmark for consoles? Was it the linearity? Was it the light platforming elements? Was it the Nolan North voice acting? Was it the...oh I think you are proving my point that 99.9% of gamers think graphics are the only important quality of a video game.
TransientDreamer  +   704d ago
Wow, the disagree trolls are out in full force today.
t0mmyb0y  +   704d ago
I think it's because there are to many people saying "no these are the best". I skip those comments. Nobody wants to here what you like. My vote is for Mario 1 :P
#25.1 (Edited 704d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
t0mmyb0y  +   704d ago
Brad Langford is clearly not an experienced gamer lol
007Bond  +   704d ago
Anything Rockstar makes, MGS4
cuddlemonkey  +   704d ago
Halo 3
Gears of war 3
Reach
Saints row 2
Just cause 2
Dead space 2
Modern warfare 2
Black ops
Red dead redemption
Infamous 2

Alien: Isolation Crew Expendable and Last Survivor DLC will be released separately

28m ago - Pre-ordering can be a risky business these days but you won’t have to miss out on the The Crew Ex... | PC

Assassin's Creed Pirates Free This Week for iOS

33m ago - Hardcore Gamer: This majestic, open-world mobile game brings high seas adventures straight to the... | iPhone

Amazon Currently Selling the God of War Saga Collection for $20

35m ago - This my friends is the deal to end all deals. Amazon is currently selling the God of War Saga Col... | PS3

Disney Infinity Needs The Disney Afternoon Characters

36m ago - "Disney Interactive struck veritable gold with Disney Infinity. Basically following the Skylander... | PC

Start Making Games for the PS4

Pro Counter-Strike Player's Stream Crashed by a Real-Life SWAT Team

50m ago - 8CN: A pro Counter-Strike player's game got a little bit too real when actual police officers sho... | Culture