With the next generation of consoles coming up on the horizon, let's take a look back at the best series that this console generation has produced.
Thanks N4G! I just added Dark Souls and Fallout to the list, keep your opinions coming!
Resident Evil? LOL Demon's/Dark Souls? hell yeah, best two games ive played this gen (imo)
Best Video Game Series of This Console Generation
Rule 1: The Series had to start on this Generation of consoles which means it's first game had to release on the PS3/360/Wii in or after 2005. No continuation series on my list like Call of Duty which started on the PC back in 2003
Rule 2 needs at least 2 Games. One game does NOT make it a series.
Here We Go
2. Assassins Creed
3. Demon/Dark Souls
4. Super Mario Galaxy
5. Mass Effect
6. Gears of War
1. Uncharted, Nothing Beats the Uncharted series. Graphics, Gameplay, Story, control. Uncharted is This Console Gen's best series.
2. Assassins Creed, simply the next best thing to Uncharted that there is but not a clone but a whole different game style in it's own right.
3. Demon/Dark Souls, brought the pain back to the RPG format. A welcome needed injection of Hardcore console gaming in a Generation that caters to casuals.
4. Super Mario Galaxy, buh buh buh Mario started on the Nintendo, No this is not Super Paper Mario Wii this is SMG and it was a totally new series to make use of the special powers of the Wii to it fullest and normally I and a lot of other gamers just Denounce the Wii in these top # list SMG is a great series and i'm looking forward to SMG3
5. Mass Effect, Sorry but the innovation and shear gameplay of SMG was enough to beat Mass Effect IMHO. Mass Effect was another brilliant hybrid game that brought a new genre to consoles but later on it seemed to be just Dragon Age mixed with Gears but still great enough to entertain for 3 games and easily.makes the top 5. Some may want it higher which is cool but i still feel 5 is a good spot.
6. Gears of War, solid third person shooter that improved with ever game.
Agreed mostly, but I think the gameplay in Gears is universally accepted as the best for a 3rd person shooter, well, at least the responsiveness and general feel. Assassins creed is awesome (havn't playede Revelations). I got the first in 2008 and was weary. I thought it was some uncharted clone. But it suprised me and was very cool. Uncharted is the best series this gen IMO. Naughty Dog always find a way to step up their already fantastic franchises. I'm buying into next gen day 1 just to see what crazy games they make next ( hopefully they can still do uncarted and more last of us).
I don't own a 360 so I will not add any 360 exclusives to my list. 1.Mass Effect - Intelligent, you decide what will happen, possibilities, massive universe, Epic conclusion (At least I think so at least with the extended cut in mind), you care for the characters, anyone can die if you mess up and there is no cliche immortal main protagonist stuff. 2. Uncharted 3. Assassin's Creed 4. Portal 5. Batman 6. Super Mario Galaxy
Uncharted is the best game franchise this gen IMO
for me uncharted was my favourite this gen.
HOW THE FUCK CAN PEOPLE MAKE A LIST LIKE THIS WHEN DOZENS OF GAMES HAVE LET TO BE RELEASED?
Personally my favourite game series this generation is the Resistance series. It's not the best, but its the best for me. I love the alien invasion type feeling that I got while playing it, the awesome weapons, terrifying looking monsters, atmosphere, and best of all "fun and unique gameplay that actually differentiated itself from the generic FPS crowd.
This is tough I think you need to separate it by platform or publishers. PS3: Uncharted Xbox: Halo/Gears Wii: Mario Galaxy Third Party: Mass Effect/Assassin Creed Sleeper: Resistance Biggest Surprise: Flow, Flower, Journey
for me is Motorstorm!!!! close second Resistance and in third place inFAMOUS , if only Folklore and Heavenly Sword could have been franchises, they would be among my three favorites of this generation. oops i thought the article was about franchises created this generation lol
Uncharted series by a wide margin.
Resistance definitely deserves to be mentioned. so many choices and so many different opinions make it hard to come down to one answer. but if we're going off pure personal fun-factor (PPFF) then the rock band series are my pick lol
Uncharted with UC2 being the game with the most award s garnered by any game and most talked about this gen. Amazing how it has way more reviews factored into it's score than Mario galaxy games yet is sitting at a 96. We all know more reviews trend to water down scores Soooo which game really is the highest rated if the review amounts would be equal? Hmmmm For me souls series and uncharted hands down.
imho its Killzone 2/3! The most visceral games i've played!
Mass Effect Dragon Age The Elder Scrolls Fallout Assassin's Creed Heavy Rain Uncharted Killzone AL Noire Demon's Souls Dark Souls
Mass Effect for me
Why is everyone forgetting Batman: AA and AC?
Mass Effect Fallout Assassin's Creed Batman:AA and AC
As for bro gamers it must be COD,HAlo,GTA or Gear of War
Everybody else is mentioning the typical winners; Mass Effect, Batman, Gears of War, Uncharted, etc... But I would like to mention Call of Duty Modern Warefare 1 & 2. Not for the multiplayer but for the campaign. I thought the campaign for both had the most insane action packed levels I have ever seen. A truly blockbuster movie worthy. I had more fun with the campaign than most of the games listed above me. Haven't played MW3 yet...I'm a lil behind in my gaming :p
1. Uncharted 2. Batman
N4G is a community of gamers posting and discussing the latest game news. It’s part of NewsBoiler, a network of social news sites covering today’s pop culture.