Submitted by Bagogames 786d ago | opinion piece

Top 8 Overlooked PS3 Games

Since its release in 2006, the PlayStation 3 has been home to some truly great gaming experiences. Thanks to the Uncharted series, Metal Gear Solid 4, Killzone 2 and 3, and Heavy Rain, PS3 fans have no shortage of great games to choose from. Due to the sheer amount of great PS3 exclusives and great third party games being released, it is inevitable that some games are overlooked. And it is a shame, for one reason or another, that these games were overlooked. Whether it was the lack of marketing, bad timing, or another reason, these games should be played.

Not every game on this list may interest you—which is fine—but if you have some spare change laying around, or are just looking for a unique game to try out, these are the ones that should not have been overlooked. Now, lets start this list. (3D Dot Game Heroes, Casual games, Culture, Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten, MotorStorm: Apocalypse, No More Heroes: Heroes Paradise, PS3, Twisted Metal , Valkyria Chronicles)

liberator23  +   786d ago
While I personally don't own a PS3, Twisted Metal and Motorstorm: Apocalypse both look like games that I would buy. I remember seeing Twisted Metal have it's debut trailer at one gaming conference, there was so much hype for it and the crowd really seemed to want the game. It's sad that things like that, where people put so much effort into making them, go overlooked in the market and forgotten.
HammadTheBeast  +   786d ago
Twisted Metal was set to be an amazing game, David Jaffe really did do a lot for it, including blowing up a truck, but the game had some major gamebreaking issues with online play in the first month or so, which led to a huge hit to sales. Motorstorm was also affected by the flood in Japan.
thorstein  +   786d ago
I actually have 3D Dot Game Heroes, Motorstorm and Valkyria Chronicles, which is a fantastic game. The only problem would be no trophy support and the sequels went to the psp. I have been thinking about Folklore (don't know why I haven't grabbed it) and Disgaeia (or however the hell you spell it.)
#1.1.1 (Edited 786d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(0) | Report
Septic  +   785d ago
Twisted Metal is fine now online. It's actually really smooth and loads of fun.
darren_poolies  +   785d ago
Been playing Motorstorm: Apocalypse after getting it free on PS+ and I'm in love with it. It's actually a really great game and I've been trying to get my friends into it. It's such a shame it bombed.
#1.1.3 (Edited 785d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(0) | Report
thezeldadoth  +   785d ago
i was so excited for this game for years and kept up with all the news on it. It wasn't the online that ruined it for me, it was the actual game. The controls horrible and werent fun at all. It didn't have the spirit of a twisted metal game at all.
Kin23g  +   786d ago
Never heard of most of them. XD
Panthers  +   786d ago
I have Valkyria Chronicles. Its pretty awesome. Its a Strategy RPG.
guitarded77  +   786d ago
@ Kin23g
You are joking... right?

@ Everyone
Anyway, I've played everything on the list and every one of them is great.

3D Dot Game Heroes is a must play for fans of The Legend of Zelda (my favorite game of all time). It's a great nostalgic flashback.

Yakuza 4 is really fun for OCD gamers like me. So much to do and collect in Yakuza games.

MotorStorm Apocalypse is great to play in 3D. Love the Motor Storm series.

I would honestly recommend everything on this list. Great games.
#1.2.2 (Edited 786d ago ) | Agree(10) | Disagree(3) | Report
Kin23g  +   786d ago
@Panthers
Is it anything like Persona or Eternal sonata? If so, I might grab it.
@Guitarded77
Nope, I'm not joking.
I've only heard of TM, MotorStorm and Yakuza4.
So yeah, never heard of most of them. ;D
HarryMasonHerpderp  +   785d ago
Valkyrie Chronicles is far superior to Eternal Sonata.
It's a strategy game but don't let that put you off, give it a try.
Maybe you would like Folklore more though as that's more an action JRPG.
showtimefolks  +   785d ago
besides no more heroes i agree with everything else. twisted metal needs to be played by more people. Its david jaffe's love child he put his all into this game so buy it now and buy it new to support the devs

last motorstorm just suffered so much with whole thing in japan so hopefully the next one sony will show better support for

sony i know people been saying this for a while now but can you hire the firm that does advertisement for rockstar games to advertise your exclusives because most of them don't even see any tv time

look at how much sony put into UC3 and how well did it sell so why not learn from this.
#1.3 (Edited 785d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
HarryMasonHerpderp  +   785d ago
Is the EU version of Twisted Metal censored though? I'll pick up the US version if it is.

An Motorstorm pacific rift is waaaay better than Apocalypse in my opinion.

We get next to no advertising for anything PS3 related here in the UK, Sony really dropped the ball marketing this gen.
You get constantly bombarded with 3DS,Wii and 360 ads though.
Especially when it comes to Wii fitness or Kinect games with family's in their giant living rooms.
#1.3.1 (Edited 785d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report
CanadaRocks   786d ago | Spam
chaos_mechanica  +   786d ago
I personally didn't care much for No More Heroes (originally a Wii game) but I really love any attention given to Valkyria Chonicles. Damn good game, lots of content, lots of strategy, criminally overlooked.
ame22  +   786d ago
Starhawk.
HammadTheBeast  +   786d ago
That game deserves so much more. They should put the multiplayer only on PSN for $20. Major sales boost.
ame22  +   786d ago
Thank you. At least someone got it right, much like the KZ3 multiplayer deal. I cannot fathom why it's not up there yet.
#4.1.1 (Edited 786d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(1) | Report
pixelsword  +   785d ago
Starhawk would have had a lot of sales from original Warhawk fans if they didn't alienate that community and make a lot of changes that pissed them off.

Now I only hope that there's another Warhawk coming for the PS3/PS4 and maybe more DLC for the PS3.
Relientk77  +   786d ago
I really like Folklore, 3D Dot Game Heroes, and Valkeria Chronicles
#5 (Edited 786d ago ) | Agree(13) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
Eyeco  +   786d ago
Folklore is a great PS3 rpg it was overlooked because in 2007 its was the anti ps3 era so even when the ps3 was getting games it got swept under the media hate storm, that said its one of the more rare PS3 titles and is becoming increasingly hard to find i highly recommend that game.

And Valkyria Chronicles is one of those PS3 games i still haven't gotten down to buying i played the demo and thought it was amazing one of the best demo's i've ever played, i promised myself to buy that game before this gen is over.
tiffac008  +   785d ago
You should definitely pick up VC1, its one of the hidden gems this gen. The only sad thing is the sequel is on the PSP and Sega does not want to localize the 3rd part :(

But still it should not stop you from getting VC1 :)
Calm Down Sunshine  +   785d ago
Folklore has sold only a measly 240,000 copies.
Seriously, give it a try. I'm no great fan of JRPG's but this one is really, really good. It's not the usual.
pixelsword  +   785d ago
I still remember the demo; I loved it because it was the first game that used the sixaxis and I fell in love with motion gaming.

My love that came from that is the only thing that's keeping from initially bashing the Wii, and finding out that it's pretty fun, and I even give kinect and Move a pass because as long as the games are fun, it's all that matters.
HorseArmor   786d ago | Spam
Dark_Overlord  +   786d ago
Happy to say I own all of these except Twisted Metal (never been a fan) :)
r21  +   786d ago
i've played Valkyria Chronicles and Folklore, both charmingly unique games and glad i got to play them :D
Run_bare  +   785d ago
Same with me, I love those games, I still got it both games now and I don't want to trade them in. It's a gem.
PS3Freak  +   786d ago
I really wish more people would try the Yakuza series.

I'm afraid that if they continue to sell poorly, they will stop be localized to NA.

Also, Motorstorm AP is an amazing racing game. I had a good time with Folklore and 3d dot as well.
#9 (Edited 786d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
tiffac008  +   785d ago
Gawd, I hope they do not stop localizing the main Yakuza series. I can live without Sega localizing the spin-offs but I want Yakuza 5 and every subsequent sequel to the main story.
P_Bomb  +   785d ago
I wouldn't fear. The recent PS3 Yakuza3/Yakuza4 titles posted their best NA numbers to date, blowing away the NA figures for Yakuza1/Yakuza2 on PS2.

Since the vast majority of its sales are overseas (Yakuza4 estimates are 110,000 for NA but 860,000 worldwide), NA localization is just bonus money for Sega. Helped Yakuza3 pass a million. Starhawk would kill for those numbers.

Hmm, Starhawk. Great online game that unfortunately deserves an article all its own. Twisted Metal and Motorstorm Apocalypse for all their bad luck @ launch, still blew it away at the box office, so to speak. I did NOT see David Jaffe's no-beta baby besting Dylan Jobe this year, yet here we are.
#9.2 (Edited 785d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
tiffac008  +   785d ago
Well if Sega continues to localize Yakuza then they'll be taking my cold hard earned money for sure. I just wish they do that on their other titles like Valkyria Chronicles III for example :(
jayman1  +   785d ago
8) payday
7) Motorstorm apocalypse
6) killzone 2
5) Mag
4) Resistance 3
3)Socom 4
2)Twisted Metal
1) Starhawk
I'm glad to say i love, have played, or own every game on this list.

<3 Twisted Metal & Motorstorm <3
#11 (Edited 785d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
SlapHappyJesus  +   785d ago
A lot of the games on this list were the ones I was actually interested in playing.

I am planning on picking up a PS3 sometime this year, and yes, it will basically be a blu-ray player that happens to play games. Just being honest.

The games I will be rocking, however - Killzone, Heavy Rain (along with their upcoming title, probably), No More Heroes (already own on the wii, but still), Yakuza series (hoping for an HD collection of originals coming to the states), Valkyria Chronicles, 3D Dot Game Heroes, and a number of others that I can't remember at this time.

Aside from the ones that I listed as not wanting to play, I am actually up for some recommendations. I haven't followed PS3 releases too closely over the years, and there are some games that have just slipped my mind over time.
#12 (Edited 785d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(7) | Report | Reply
"To be entirely honest, and not really meaning to bash many people's favorite games, but I don't give two shits about most of Playstation's major first-party games - GT, GoW, Uncharted, Metal Gear Solid, Resistance, etc. "

You sir just bashed my top 5 favorite list.... I respect your bravery for saying it, as hateful as it was. It was bravery sprinkled with hate nonetheless. lolz

Having said that as far as recommendations go, i'd recommend
inFAMOUS series
Little Big Planet series
Demon's Souls
Dark Souls
Dragon's Dogma
Modnation Racers
Journey
Batman: Arkham series
Gotham City imposters
DC Universe online
Motorstorm: Apocolypse
Twisted Metal
Jak & Dakter HD collection
Sly Cooper HD collection

Sorry that's all i can think of off the top of my head lol.
#12.1 (Edited 785d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Aghashie  +   785d ago
Disgaea is a great game. Any JRPG fan should give it a try. Same goes for 3D Dot Game Hero. Great retro, 8 bit style RPG.
AIndoria  +   785d ago
Valkyria Chronicles, oh god yes! It's one of the best PlayStation 3 games around. BUY IT!
JAMurida  +   785d ago
I would add White Knight Chronicles 1 and 2 and MAG onto that list. Both are amazing games IMO that I still play today. But I agree for the most part with this list, especially Valkyria Chronicles and Folklore.
TheColbertinator  +   785d ago
Valkyria Chronicles and Disgaea 4 are amazing games
Sizzon  +   785d ago
Starhawk and Motorstorm Apocalypse definitely sadly :(

I want 3D Dot Game Heroes so bad, but can't never find it in a game store lol :P
AIndoria  +   785d ago
I agree. StarHawk was an amazing multiplayer experience.
tigertron  +   785d ago
Ah yes, Folklore. Thats a great RPG-ish game. I even had one of the developers in Tokyo answer my question. :)
Run_bare  +   785d ago
Yes, I love Valkyria Chronicles, shame they did not release more on PS3 - the sequel is PSP only, I wonder why they do that :(

And Folklore, the first PS3 game i bought when i purcahse my PS3 over 4 years ago. I wish they make a sequel but i heard the studio went bankrupt :(
acemonkey  +   785d ago
Twisted Metal is good...idk why i stop playing it..other then i get my ass kicked...

Heavenly sword should have been on that list

maybe socom 4 ( i enjoyed everything just wish it had party lobby) could never find a friends game if i did we could have never been on the same team
izumo_lee  +   785d ago
Disgaea has a hardcore fan base & the series is pretty popular so it is not really overlooked but just not mainstream yet.

3D Dot Game Heroes was a nice homage to the legendary Legend of Zelda & a game that does not shy away from being a 'rip-off' cause that was the intention of the game. Really hard! Really crazy fun!

Motorstorm Apocalypse had the bad timing of being released during the horrible Japan Tsunami which really hurt its sales. Though for the game itself it was a really fun arcade race.

Valkyrie Chronicles.....what more can be said about this game that Sega continues to ignore for the PS3. Not saying that the PSP games were not good (they were great) but this seris deserves another title on the PS3.
manlypile  +   785d ago
As strange as it may sound, I'm glad we still have overlooked games. It reminds me that there are still developers out there that are not multi-billion dollar companies making AAA games. I like the fact that there are still smaller developers releasing hidden gems for us to find
Roper316  +   785d ago
Valkyria Chronicles & Folklore are 2 my Favorite games this gen and I buy & play alot of games. That is one of the best advantages of not being a trophy whore who won't play titles like VC & FL due to no trophies.

I felt a real attachment to my characters in both VC & FL that no other PS3 or 360 game has come close to matching. And to me that is why I play these types of games and why they are still my fave 2 games this gen on any system.
CanadaRocks   785d ago | Spam
aDDicteD  +   785d ago
valkyria chronicles is a must have game glad it's no.1,,

they should had added starhawk as well as white knight chronicles on the list to make it top 10 instead of just 8
Over726  +   785d ago
The PSN store should have a $5 bin foe the games listed. i would buy them all, anything to keep me out of crap ass game stop.
ThePsychoGamer  +   785d ago
With the exception of one ill-advised spin off, all the Yakuza games have been great. I really hope Yakuza 5 makes it over to the states.

Ryse Son of Rome PC Preview (GotGame)

36m ago - "The PC version seems to be a more complete experience, the framerate is buttery smooth and the v... | PC

The Walking Dead Season 2 Review (Spoilers Season 1 and 2) - Gamespresso

1h ago - The Walking Dead by Telltale was one of the biggest surprises of 2012, due to the success of the... | Xbox 360

Review: Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare (PS4) | SG Gaming Info

1h ago - SG Gaming Info writes: Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare is an overall fun, family friendly onli... | PS4

The New 3DS in the Wild - TGS 2014

1h ago - IGN - While at TGS 2014 we had a chance to play the new 3DS with extra buttons in the wild. Get a... | 3DS

Destiny The Game

Now - Explore Mars, Rediscover Venus, Reclaim the moon, Protect Earth. Become Legend. The wait is over! Destiny is now available to play, Pick up your... | Promoted post

Greenlight District: Phantasmal, Cube and Me, Paradigm, Sam Glyph: Private Eye, Hiragana Pixel Party

2h ago - Hardcore Gamer: It’s hard to find great indie games on Steam Greenlight when the service is so in... | PC