Submitted by THESHAUNZY 635d ago | opinion piece

Nintendo's Wii-U is in the drivers seat this console generation.

Even if the Japanese based company had a very bad E3 this year in regards to games for the Wii-U. Nintendo should not be taken lightly as far as their new home console that will deliver on all fronts of the console wars. How can the Wii-U start the pre-emptive strike you ask? This piece will encourage you to gear up and go to war with a Nintendo console other than a 700 dollar Xbox Live service, or a 700 dollar Blu-Ray player from Sony. (3DS, Next-Gen, Nintendo, Nintendo DS, Wii, Wii U, Zelda Wii U)

MultiConsoleGamer  +   636d ago
Completely do not agree that Nintendo had a "bad e3 as regard to games for the WiiU."

Only Nintendo-Land was bad, everything else was good. Games like Zombie-U, Project P-100 and Pikmin 3 were some of the best games at the show.
WeskerChildReborned  +   635d ago
I'm just disapointed their wasn't anymore interesting games announced for me. I am looking forward to ZombiU, AC3, Aliens Colonial Marines, and Batman Arkham city.
THESHAUNZY  +   636d ago
Sorry dude but Nintendo fans want Zelda, Zelda Zelda... just saying... lol but seriously Nintendo is going to blow next E3 out of the water!
live2play  +   635d ago
and also kirby kirby kirby,mario mario mario, metroid metroid metroid, starfox starfox starfox

and ps3 fans want uncharted uncharted uncharted, god of war god of war god of war,

xbox fans want halo halo halo, gears gears gears, and cod cod cod, cod cod cod, cod cod cod oh and dont forget their big hitter cod cod cod
THESHAUNZY  +   635d ago
.... COD comes out for all consoles.
Sgt_Slaughter  +   635d ago
But that's one of the only games on the Xbox 360 XD
AO1JMM  +   635d ago
Zelda fans know that Skyward Sword was just released and they they have to wait awhile to see another game (outside of any handheld versions that is)
metroid32  +   635d ago
Its obvious that Nintendo are holding bk Metroid/Zelda/Smash bros/F-Zero/MarioKart/Myamotos new game ect for Next E3 when ps4/720 will be announced as Nintendo will need its big guns then to keep attention on WiiU that is the most obvious thing i saw at E3 and the ports are all superior ports with better Graphics/Resolution/Textures/F ramerates,ect also added content will be on disc plus new areas and animations in Razors Edge for e.g.

Expect these games at next E3 2013

Zelda
Smash Bros
Metroid
Mario world 3D
MarioKart
Myamoto's new game/characters
Eternal darkness 2
Starfox

Some of these games will be shown before then but will get their real reveal at next E3 2013,even maybe 1 or 2 of these are launching before next E3 who know's but there are lots of games on the horizon and with Ninty holding a powerful box expect all their best franchises to be realized on WiiU as Wii wasn't a good fit for these games to move foward except wii did a good job at Smash bros as that looked as good as a ps3 game.

Look out for that CryEngine 3 game being made by a respectful partner of crytek the game will be shown at GAMESCOM i think and its meant to look very special indeed.

We also know UE4 can be ported to WiiU as epic said so a few weeks bk and that the WiiU is powerful enough to run UE4 but they have no plans to support it in the near future but 3rd partys can make use of UE4 on WiiU for game development.
#2.3 (Edited 635d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
TheSuperior  +   635d ago
Nintendo at E3 was a huge disappointment. It was unbelievable that was the way they decided to advertise their next console. Players want games like Zombi U (which was a huge plus) but what it seems like they are getting are titles like Mario Bro U, Raymen Legends and third party titles all core gamers can already play comfortably with the consoles they own. We want games like how Mario 64 was or maybe a new ZELDA? I’ll bet my money on them next year but as of now i am still skeptical.
PopRocks359  +   635d ago
So you expect Nintendo to snap their fingers and just have a Zelda ready and waiting for E3? In case you're new to the party, Nintendo doesn't run things that way historically. There is almost four or five years between each Zelda game and not often (if ever) are any of them launch titles as oppose to games to send a console generation off on. Twilight Princess for the Gamecube and Skyward Sword for the Wii for example. The same thing applies to 3D Mario games.

Anyway, they devoted an entire segment to Batman Arkham City Armored Edition and showcased a montage of third party games; most of which were core titles.

I'm not saying you can't be skeptical, mostly because of the emphasis on Nintendo Land. But that's hardly any reason to pretend as if there were no good things whatsoever shown for Wii U.
THESHAUNZY  +   635d ago
REtro Studios
PopRocks359  +   635d ago
Reggie has said that Retro wasn't nearly ready to show anything in terms of their new project.
rufusman91  +   635d ago
No sure if should take serious as video game console,
or
if should mock and call it a "little kid's toy".
FinalomegaS  +   635d ago
Don't take it seriously. I mean it's a POS that can't play games like FPS genre. It can't do HD 1080p. It can't play mature games like Ninja Garden.

I can go on of how Crap that pos is. I was pissed when they said it would have a disc that hold 25gigs instead of the multi disc usage DVDs.

I think you should mock it. Come on it must be a kids toy, has that beautiful screen that let's you keep playing while the big screen is being used.

Come on, with a name like wiiu, whole the hell even knows wtf a wii is...?

Fyi: the casual had their chance and made Nintendo a fortune. Now comes round 2, pretty sure it's going to be more like cube vs xbx vs ps2

The advantage handicap we had last round obviously made alot of fans go A-wall. Idk what will happen when we see Retros masterpiece or EADs. Making fun of it now will be your better bet and then later on say.. Hahaha was just joking, that shyt looks beast. =)
#4.1 (Edited 635d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
NastyLeftHook0  +   635d ago
in the drivers seat of a prius?
AO1JMM  +   635d ago
I suppose the PS3 is in the drivers seat of a 7 series BMW then?

/s
live2play  +   635d ago
how can the wiiu drive if it has to look at a second screen

its disctracting and impossible to do!

loloolotrolrolro
greenpowerz  +   635d ago
Best one in weeks.. +bubs
FinalomegaS  +   635d ago
Guess getting head while driving is less or more distracting?

I'm pretty sure you'll manage to do what you have to in both circumstances lol
metroid32  +   635d ago
GUESS WHAT GUYS THE SECOND SCREEN BUILDS SUSPENCE IN ANY GAME AS IN REAL LIFE WHEN YOU DRIVE AND YOU LOOK AT YOUR REAR VIEW MIRROR GUESS WHAT IN A REAL LIFE SITUATION YES YOU TAKE YOUR EYE OFF THE ROAD FOR A SECOND SO WIIU ONLY MAKES THE GAMES FEEL MORE REAL AS IN REAL LIFE IF YOU HAVE TO DO ANYTHING LIKE PICK A LOCK OR LOOK IN YOUR REAR VIEW MIRROR YOU HAVE TO TAKE YOUR EYES OFF THE MAIN ACTION FOR A BRIEF MOMENT SO IN RACING GAMES I WANT TO HAVE TO LOOK AWAY FOR THE ODD SECOND FOR IT TO FEEL REAL ECT AS THATS WHAT YOU DO IN REAL LIFE ??????????

SONY/MICROSOFT FANS IF SONY/MICROSOFT MADE THE WIIU 1ST THEN YOU WOULD BE BANGING ON HOW THE CONSOLE IS SHADER MODEL 5.0/IT USES OPENGL4.1/1080P ECT AND THE SECOND SCREEN MAKES THINGS MORE REAL BUT BECAUSE ITS NINTY AND THEIR GAMEPAD DOES EVERYTHING FROM SCANNING YOUR FACE TO PUT INTO A GAME OR MOTION CONTROLS OR EVEN SOCIAL NETWORKING THE GAMEPAD DOES EVERYTHING DUAL RUMBLE PANARAMIC VIEWPOINT I CANT SEE ANYTHING THE WIIU IS DOING WRONG TO BE HONEST ITS A CLASSIC CAME CONTROLLER WITH ADDED BELLS AND WHISTLES.

CAPITALS BECAUSE I WANTED TOO ???
#6.2.1 (Edited 635d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(1) | Report
FinalomegaS  +   635d ago
@metroid32

I don't think many people can multi task well =)

i agree with you.
remanutd55  +   635d ago
drivers seat of what? casual gaming? please dont let me start on the Wii and the pattern i see with the Wii U, good thing ZombiU looks appealing to me and i know for sure there will be a Zelda WiiU but other than that im buying the console "hoping", "praying" that Nintendo brings more appealing games not the same kiddy stuff. Certain $599.99 machine was money well invested ( i have played some truly amazing games on it ) so they have my next gen investment on the bank just waiting on the announcement to the their next gen console to pre order it lol.
#7 (Edited 635d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(13) | Report | Reply
BEESDENIAL   635d ago | Spam
mike1up  +   635d ago
You are entitled to your opinion, and that's fine. Oh and for $600, I would like to think that you did play some truly amazing games. I hope that your next gen investment will have backwards compatibility (I'll keep my fingers crossed lol). Talk about "hoping" and "praying".

How can you possibly argue that Nintendo is not in the driver's seat for next gen? Last time I checked, they were the only car on the road. Sony and Microsoft haven't even announced anything yet!

Lastly, other than Nintendo Land, what is this "casual pattern" that you see? To my knowledge, Nintendo Land is the only casual game available in the launch window.
#7.2 (Edited 635d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
Stephen5543  +   635d ago
I love Nintendo, and I will get the Wii U at some point.

As for the casual games, Nintendo showed off Wii Fit, Nintendo Land, Sing, and Game & Wario(which as of now looks like a casual title). Wii Fit, Nintendo Land, and Sing were also major parts of their conference.

That's the reason why some gamers have been saying that they see a pattern. E3 was really the time to "wow" the hardcore crowd. I don't think that they did a bad job with their conference, but they definitely didn't wow the crowd that they were saying they were going to start catering to. With half of their conference showing off casual titles like Just Dance 4 and the previously mentioned titles, and the other half showing off a big number of games that gamers can already get on the other consoles, Nintendo did not convince anyone new.

I really hope that this is not showing a pattern, and that the Wii U will not be a repeat of the Wii in terms of quality of the games we receive. After the way the Wii was, though, you can't blame people for being cautious.
mike1up  +   635d ago
@Stephen5543

Agreed. Imo Nintendo's E3 press conference was awful. If you happened to be on N4G that evening, I was calling for Mr. Iwata to step down. I was pissed.

Are sure about WiiFit though? I thought that Nintendo was simply showcasing that the Balance Board is compatible with the WiiU. Furthermore, I remember WiiFit being unveiled in the Nintendo Direct conference, not E3.

That being said, I don't see a pattern with the WiiU. As gamers, we have to accept the fact that there is a profitable "casual" audience gaming alongside us. Sony unveiled Wonder Book, Microsoft has Kinect, and Nintendo has the Miis. It's official, "casual gaming" is now a genre, not a curse put upon the industry by Nintendo.
#7.2.2 (Edited 635d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report
Stephen5543  +   635d ago

Wii Fit was indeed shown during the Nintendo Direct, but it was only teased. During Nintendo's Conference they showed it off more.

I'm not questioning casual content. I realize that all of the Big 3 now incorporates it (or at least tries to). I also don't find the Wii U as underwhelming as people make it seem. I merely pointed out that the majority of the games revealed at e3 were either casual or games that will also come out on other consoles.

As for the Wii pattern, people are mainly concerned about support and the quality of Nintendo's titles. Titles like New Super Mario Bros, either of the Kirby games, Metroid Other M, and Skyward Sword (I'm a huge Zelda fan, and I could debate the pros and cons of that game, but it would be a bit off topic.... A summary would be that the gameplay is very streamlined and I'll leave it at that) do not live up to the Nintendo quality standards given to us on previous systems. Why? Because they're catering to a larger demographic with all of their releases now, and Nintendo focusing half of their conference on casual titles makes it hard to believe that they have changed their stance on that.

I personally love Nintendo to death, and there is no doubt in my mind that I will get the console at some point because I love all of their franchises, but the Wii's take on those franchises were mostly flat and/or watered down versions of previous titles......I know that this post is more so based around my personal opinion then my last reply. Tried really hard to not seem rant-y, though.

So yeah, the balls in Nintendo's court. Time will only tell if there is indeed a pattern or not.
#7.2.3 (Edited 635d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report
remanutd55  +   635d ago
Lmao i dont care about backwards compatibily on the ps4 because i will keep my ps3, anyways im buying my ps4 to play ps4 games so im not hoping nor praying for b/c on the ps4, wiiu on the other hand better let me play skyward sword on it or otherwise it will be a big blow to me since there is only one wiiu game im inrerested to play from that lackluster launch line up, anyways i hope zelda wiiu gets announced in the first 2 years of the console life and im hoping to seenew appealing franchises from nintendo
BEESDENIAL   635d ago | Spam
FinalomegaS  +   635d ago
They will be first this time and the highway will be empty.

Just hope they point out the details to their online multilayer infrastructure. All we know is that it's free.

Besides that I think when true ground up wiiu games show the graphical difference and then we'll see the heads turn.
Sgt_Slaughter  +   635d ago
Well, considering that they are the 1st ones to release a next-gen console... Yes, yes they are.
DeadIIIRed  +   635d ago
I wonder why people are ignoring the fact that they named the console "Wii U." Most of their target audience, people who have no idea what is going on in the industry, are going to mistake it for a Wii peripheral. Nintendo should stick with what they do best; software and handhelds.
metroid32  +   635d ago
ZombiU was cheaper to develop by quite a lot compared to a AAA ps3 game that looks graphically worse,so if u think devs will invest in ps4/720 over wiiu your dreaming end of wiiu will rule its cheap to develop for and has nextgen graphics.
Ck1x  +   635d ago
Not to mention that many people felt the same would happen between PSVita and 3DS. How many games have been moved from the Vita to 3DS? Developers can't keep supporting these expensive to develop for platforms, that's why so many have closed shop this generation alone. My guess is that we will see a trend continue. With Nintendo offering many software tools for free to smaller developers and now aggressively publishing many of these titles as well. I expect to see many small and indie developers flock to WiiU for new ground and territory to be explored!
jboy  +   635d ago
@ Metroid32 , Zombi u looks better than anything i have seen on any other console i must admit
#13 (Edited 635d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
CaptainN  +   635d ago
I got my seatbelt on :-)
#14 (Edited 635d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
Decaf_PIxel_Kat  +   634d ago
I'm hoping that Nintendo IS going to have a better E3 next year. The NES was my first console and I want to love the new console as I have their others. Nintendo has let me down quite a few times so I am a bit skeptical about the Wii-U. Skeptical, but hopeful!
revengemadmax  +   634d ago
wii u car = prius
xbox 720 = mclaren/porche/Ferrari/ lamborghini
ps4 = loads of mazdas/nissans!

trololololololol
#16 (Edited 634d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
stuna1  +   634d ago
Was that supposed to be funny? If so, just sad! If not, seek help.

To the one saying that zombie u looks better than anything seen on consoles! I know a good opthamologist! Because you can't be serious.

On topic, nintendo has a lot of convincing to do after their E3 showing, and so little time to do it! Outside of zombie u, their offerings were slim picking at best. Unless your a fan of kirby, zelda and, mario! But what what if your not? What is on display that's not available on the other consoles?
TheGrimBunny  +   634d ago
I played the Wii-U and would have to agree with the article, is it pretty awesome, I played Batman and was blown away.
neutralgamer19  +   634d ago
yeah sure u did lol

Volt Review - Not Very Electrifying | Twinfinite

30m ago - While Volt is visually pleasing and the gameplay is challenging, it doesn't add anything terribly... | PC

Front Towards Gamer Pax East 2014 -- Awesomenauts, Sword & Soldiers II Preview

34m ago - Robert Beach checks out what Romino has to to offer at Pax East. | PC

Front Towards Gamer Pax East 2014 -- Invisible Inc: Tactical Stealth Espionage

34m ago - Paul Neafsey interviews and checks out Klei's (XCOM-esque) tactical stealth espionage game. | PC

Fan Translation: Final Fantasy VII Available in German With Corrected Text

36m ago - Carl Williams writes, "Sometimes gamers take for granted living in Japan or in North America. Gam... | Retro

Win a PS4!

Now - Enter to win a PS4 from N4G! | Promoted post

Great Scott, Retro City Rampage On Steam At 90% Discount For $0.99

36m ago - GG3 writes: "Well, damn, today’s Daily Deal on Steam is a sharp one, as you can get Retro City Ra... | PC