Try our new beta! Click here
Submitted by shutUpAndTakeMyMoney 1227d ago | news

Steam Pulls a Fast One: Trade in Console Games for Extra PC Gaming Credit

It may be a trap, but that's some sweet sweet bait. (PC, PS3, Steam, Valve, Wii, Xbox 360)

Blacktric  +   1227d ago
Jesus, this is brilliant. Eventhough you won't be able to trade back the game you bought with those credits, it is still an amazing deal. Especially if you consider that there is a massive sale going on right now.
#1 (Edited 1227d ago ) | Agree(19) | Disagree(7) | Report | Reply
Kurylo3d  +   1227d ago
At least ud be supporting the developers.
ATi_Elite  +   1227d ago
Valve = The Greatest of All Time!
1. Brilliant, pure Genius from those Gaming Gods over at Valve.

2. You buy PC Games for life and trading them in is not possible and if it were possible would be STUPID!

Free DLC and Mods breath new life into old PC Games. Perfect example: The DayZ mod has Arma II back on my SSD and being played Daily and Arma II is 3 years old!

Half Life 2 alone has about 50 different Good mods worth playing.

3. This will help more consolers get into the wonderful world of PC Gaming and it's the Sumer Steam sale meaning games are "Bottom of a casket dirt cheap".

4. 30% more credit!!!!!......I'm going next door and gonna grab some old games from my neighbors kids and get me some Steam Bucks to have handy for the onslaught of Christmas titles.

(They are spoiled brats and won't miss them)
#1.2 (Edited 1227d ago ) | Agree(16) | Disagree(18) | Report | Reply
nukeitall  +   1227d ago
I think in Europe, it is new the law to allow you to resell digital items, but don't quote me on it!
starchild  +   1227d ago
Yeah, I think it is a great deal. I mainly use the consoles for their exclusives and when I'm done with them I can trade them in for games I want more on the PC. Steam is awesome.
Totoro17  +   1227d ago
L4D and L4D2 are so incredibly sweet on the PC, not to mention the HUGE amount of fan made DLC that blows some of the stuff that Valve has brought out out the water. I would like L4D3, but honestly, I'm so happy with the modded servers and extra maps.
JoySticksFTW  +   1227d ago
@ ATi_Elite's "I'm going next door and gonna grab some old games from my neighbors kids...They are spoiled brats and won't miss them"

Looting and treachery?

We have a bandit in our midst.

DayZ player confirmed! ;)
#1.2.4 (Edited 1227d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(0) | Report
Huarle  +   1226d ago
It is allowed, yes. But companies like Valve, which bind games to your account, aren't forced to offer you an option to be able to sell your digital games again.
FredEffinChopin  +   1226d ago
" Brilliant, pure Genius from those Gaming Gods over at Valve"

God that sentence made me puke in my mouth a little. I've never seen such a naked display of game-platform leg-humping in my life aside from active and aggressive trolls. Congratulations, it's been a while since anything on the internet has effectively revolted me.
Old McGroin  +   1226d ago
@ nukeitall and Huarle

I live in the EU (Ireland), how would I go about selling digital games online? Have websites been set up? Cheers.

Only just getting in to PC gaming, have a good enough laptop with a HDMI cable connection and wireless mouse & keyboard so I can play on my HD tv. Bought Star Wars Battlefront 2 from Steam the other day and downloaded Lord Of The Rings Online to get myself started. This Gamestop deal looks pretty good and would help ease PC gaming noobs like myself in.

Saw a couple of posts somewhere (not here) asking if Gamestop is in Europe; it is indeed, I know of about 4 Gamestop stores around Cork city where I'm from so if they're in Ireland they're surely around the EU.
FanboyPunisher  +   1227d ago
30% trade in credit?

GS is still fucking you.
TERRIBLE deal, better off keeping them or selling via ebay/kijiji.
Blacktric  +   1227d ago
+30% extra credit if you cash in that credit on Steam. Like if you trade in 100 dollars worth of games total and get the credit for 100 dollars and use it to buy Steam credits, you will get 130 dollars added to your Steam account instead of 100.
#1.3.1 (Edited 1227d ago ) | Agree(14) | Disagree(0) | Report
dcbronco  +   1227d ago
Blacktric $100 in trade-in value at gamestop is 6 games that came out in the last two weeks. Amazon will give you $10 or more more than gamestop per title. Sometimes more. I traded in a game at Amazon earlier this year for $38 that gamestop was only offering $22 for. I'll continue to stay away from GS. And I'm sure valve will be offering this there soon.
SPAM-FRITTER-123  +   1227d ago
this is an amazing idea. Steam is by far the best service for gaming and this just puts the icing on the cake.

hope it comes to the UK so i can trade in those old PS3 games i never got round to giving to a charity shop ;D
#1.4 (Edited 1227d ago ) | Agree(11) | Disagree(4) | Report | Reply
ChrisW  +   1227d ago
Awesome idea... regardless of the inability to trade back.

Besides, when are you going to find awesome games like Skyrim for 75% off (Steam's Flash Summer Sale (already expired)) on consoles?!? In fact, currently almost all major titles are between 25% and 75% off on Steam.

And they have Christmas sales that are equally awesome!
#1.5 (Edited 1227d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
kevnb  +   1227d ago
i hate the massive amounts of traded in games, they dont degrade like cars or other items.
DudeJets  +   1227d ago
Why is this not in the UK?
Dovahkiin  +   1227d ago
Because the UK is slowly dying a horrible death.
Kurylo3d  +   1227d ago
harsh lol
Calm Down Sunshine  +   1227d ago
This is accurate.
Irishguy95  +   1227d ago
We always get ****ed over is why. Specially by Sony
mushroomwig  +   1227d ago
'Specially' is not a word.
GamerSciz  +   1227d ago

Yes it's just not being used in the right context. He should have used "Especially". #grammarnazi
Old McGroin  +   1226d ago
@ mushroom

There's always room for a little artistic licence on N4G!
hazelamy  +   1227d ago
steam don't have store cards out in europe yet as far as i know.
MagicAccent  +   1227d ago
Wtf, I would trade in my PS3 copy of skyrim in an instant.

Why this noo in swwdeeen?! I mad!
Moncole  +   1227d ago
This is good of Steam. I was able to buy 15 games for 50$ during the summer sale.If you spend 50$ to spend on consoles games the most you will be able to get is about 5 and those would be 10$ digital games.
#4 (Edited 1227d ago ) | Agree(10) | Disagree(4) | Report | Reply
f789790  +   1227d ago
That happened to me to. I only planned to spend a few bucks and spent $50-60.

***This is what a Steam sale really is***
Moncole  +   1226d ago
I got 17 games in the end and saved 150$.
Saryk  +   1227d ago | Funny
I'm doing this today! My son's shit is gone! MUHAHAHAHAH!
#5 (Edited 1227d ago ) | Agree(28) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
ATi_Elite  +   1227d ago

Messed up, but funny!
StayStatic  +   1227d ago
LMAO I struggled to to click the +1 funny button because I was laughing to much =D
#5.2 (Edited 1227d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
DarkBlood  +   1227d ago
somebody is going to be pissed
PersonaCat  +   1227d ago
This steam sale has made me broke. I told myself yesterday that I was done after I bought Fallout NV Ultimate edition for $9.99... now they come out with this? STOP TAKING MY MONEY!
Silly Mammo  +   1227d ago
Yeah, I'm broke too and there's 4 more days left in the sale. :(
TopDudeMan  +   1227d ago
I just traded in 30 old ps3 games in my local game because I needed the money for my PC. I already have 3 games for a PC I won't have until next week thanks to the steam summer sale.

I think the cheapness of games on steam make up for not being able to resell them, though.
#7 (Edited 1227d ago ) | Agree(9) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
SPAM-FRITTER-123  +   1227d ago
just wanted to say welcome to the club my friend.
_LarZen_  +   1227d ago
Desperate much?
MySwordIsHeavenly  +   1227d ago
I seriously doubt that...

Valve is one of the most profitable companies in the industry.

Gabe, alone, is worth an estimated 1.5 billion dollars.
Dark_Overlord  +   1227d ago
Just goes to show that treating your customers with a mutual respect, and not trying to rip them off in every possible way pays off :)
master_beta   1227d ago | Spam
Kurylo3d  +   1227d ago
lol what a stupid comment. Steam accounts for like 90% of pc game sales. They pretty much own the industry. If thats desperation, I dont know what is content.
tee_bag242  +   1227d ago
@ _LarZen_

No clue much ?

Steam are a very smart bunch.
#8.3 (Edited 1227d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
Psychotica  +   1227d ago
I have already been doing this, but with the extra incentive I will have to stop by today..
TXIDarkAvenger  +   1227d ago
Sadly, I don't think they have this for Canada -_-
egidem  +   1227d ago
I wish too.
MySwordIsHeavenly  +   1227d ago
I'm $13 in the hole in my bank account... :/ Freakin' Steam Summer Sale...
fossilfern  +   1227d ago
I am resisting buying anything when I get paid on friday! I want to go out this weekend! But the deals are SO good!
Brownghost  +   1227d ago
How many of those will be played by the next sale
MySwordIsHeavenly  +   1227d ago
Every single one of them. :) I make a point of playing every game I buy off of Steam the minute it finishes downloading.
Bolts  +   1227d ago
This current gen of consoles are dying so trading them in might be a wise investment.
modesign  +   1227d ago
trade in your 199-299 dollar console, for pc credits that will require you to get a 1500-2500 dollar computer, sounds like a scam.
LordSane  +   1227d ago
people still think that a gaming PC cost 1500$?
ipe  +   1227d ago
it depends on your plans and needs of playing.

Sure as hell u cant get gaming pc for 200 euros.
Here in eu without 600,700 euros dont even watch for gaming pc that ll last u generations in advance.
500 e ll get u i5, 4gb ram, high quality psu, some mid range gpu gts450. In few years new gpu d be must.

i7, 8gb ram, gtx680.....goes well over 1000 euros
Brownghost  +   1227d ago
Mine plays games really well with a $600 computer. Better then buying a $600 crappy office computer from bestbuy
Baka-akaB  +   1227d ago
Idiotic comment of the year . Even if it was true (wich it isnt) , how is this Valve/steam's business ? they sel software , the rest is your issue .
#13.3 (Edited 1227d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Bobby Kotex  +   1227d ago
This is a great opportunity to trade in your kiddie Nintendo games if you haven't grown out of them yet.
CYBERHATER  +   1227d ago
Its own and poppin!! I love Steam!!!
LordSane  +   1227d ago
"It may be a trap" yeah, sometimes it's hard to stop buying cheap games on steam
ginsunuva  +   1227d ago
Why couldn't they have done this a few weeks ago?
Bladesfist  +   1227d ago
I just got 7 games I wanted for £8 :) I love you steam.
LAWSON72  +   1227d ago
Got $21 for skyrim at gamestop and got a$20 steam voucher now off to buy betheseda pack on steam
Gigglefist  +   1227d ago
Just got a new gaming PC. I'm certainly using this
Software_Lover  +   1227d ago
The only thing, AND I MEAN THE ONLY THING, that makes me mad about steam is there package deals IF YOU ALREADY HAVE A GAME IN THE PACKAGE. You dont get an extra game to give to a friend.

For example.
I already had Batman Arkham Asylum. I purchased the Batman collection when it was 24.99 a few days ago which included Arkham Asylum, but they did not give me another copy even though it was included in the bundle. Kind of irked me the wrong way but still a great deal on the rest of the stuff.

I'm wondering if I could've checked that I was purchasing it for a friend when checking out, if that would've made a difference?
ken322   1227d ago | Spam
ken322   1226d ago | Spam

PS4 Exclusive Dreams: Watch Media Molecule Developers Sculpt, Code and Design a Level in New Videos

34m ago - Today Media Molecule released three new videos of their upcoming PS4 exclusive Dreams, and they’r... | PS4

Sports Game Headshot Heroes Now Available On The App Store

2h ago - TTP: Headshot Heroes may seem like a sports game like many others but looks can be deceiving. Ver... | iPhone

HotLiked - What the Internet is talking about right now

Now - Kill some time at You will regret it... | Promoted post

Lara Croft GO: The Shard of Life, Cave of Fire Walkthrough

2h ago - AppUnwrapper writes: "This is a complete walkthrough guide with videos and relic locations for th... | iPhone

Chronicle: RuneScape Legends Enters Closed Beta

4h ago - Jagex, the creators of the award-winning free-to-play MMO RuneScape, today announced the beginnin... | PC

17 Best Star Wars Games of All Time

5h ago - Chillopedia: Gaming has exceptionally evolved since the past decade, which is quite evident from... | Culture