Review by Phillip Levin on January 22, 2008
"Strangely enough, Endless Ocean is a very well-made game. The problem lies in something else: as a game, Endless Ocean isn't very entertaining. There are a select few that will no doubt fall in love with Akira's underwater experience, but the rest of us will sit there with a confused look on our faces, wondering why we don't get it."
• Visuals: 7.0 - Endless Ocean looks good for a Wii game, but considering the entire premise of the game is observation, it doesn't look good enough.
• Sound: 8.0 - Great sound effects and even greater music. Voice-acting would have been nice.
• Control: 8.0 - The pointing controls work well for swimming. Sometimes, it's difficult to turn around fast enough, but other than that, they work well.
• Gameplay: 6.0 - Swimming controls are good. Absolutely huge, open ocean to explore with tons to see. Unfortunately, none of this is particularly exciting.
• Lasting Appeal: 4.0 - here's little to keep you coming back to Endless Ocean, as it's not that exciting in the first place. Online play is a great extra, though.
• Verdict: 6.0 - Unfortunately, while Endless Ocean succeeds, it succeeds at something that isn't particularly fun.