Submitted by Bsip 1018d ago | news

‘Assassin’s Creed 3′ Writer Denies British Hate

‘Assassin’s Creed 3′s’ seemingly-one-sided violence against the Redcoats is riling up a few concerns about the developers’ motivations. One of its writers was recently forced to state that the team ‘has nothing against the Brits.’ (Assassin's Creed III, PC, PS3, Ubisoft, Wii U, Xbox 360)

LiamIRL82  +   1018d ago
They are just being historically accurate about the American revolution. I'm sure british people today will not be the least bit offended or bothered by AC3
ReservoirDog316  +   1018d ago
Haha, I never understood the sensitivity people have to this stuff. Especially in historically accurate stuff. Do they get offended when they read a book of it?

I mean, I'm mexican and I was never once offended by the unbelievable numbers of mexicans killed in Red Dead Redemption.

Though to be fair, this game is being made by the french. British-french relationships have always been pretty spotty.

Haha, whatever. People need to get over it.
The_Devil_Hunter  +   1018d ago
I loved the fact we got to play in a Mexican envioment in RDR. If anyhing I loved the fact that mexicans played a part in the title .
LiamIRL82  +   1018d ago
One of the best moments of RDR was travelling down the Rio Grande.
PhantomT1412  +   1018d ago
I think people are upset about this because the Assassins always picked up from every sides and now we're only seeing redcoats getting killed.
In the first AC, we killed Saracens and Crusaders, in AC II & Brotherhood we could kill Italians, Spanish and French, and in Revelations we had Ottomans and Byzantines.
Adexus  +   1018d ago
I'm British and I couldn't care less, the game looks amazing!
TruthSeeker  +   1017d ago
Yeah, nothing is wrong with this, and they clearly have stated that we would be fighting enemies on both sides of the war because the templars are everywhere!
iamnsuperman  +   1018d ago
I do not mind, nor care about if we are just killing red coats. But what really annoys me is statements like this "it wasn’t just an American “ra ra” story" and how you will kill Americans too yet we get heavily patriotic trailers (almost vomit inducing) and nothing but red coat being axed down.

I am glad to see some sense coming from Ubisoft (well this writer). "[AC III] occurs against the backdrop of the Revolutionary war. And to be even more evasive, everyone back then was a Brit, this was not Americans against British – this was a British civil war." Finally we are getting less bull coming from Ubisoft over this issue.
#2 (Edited 1018d ago ) | Agree(11) | Disagree(6) | Report | Reply
ReservoirDog316  +   1018d ago
I'm sure some americans are gonna get the ax too (ha) but I'm pretty sure those are gonna be some pretty spoilerific moments in the game since you are generally on the american's side.

Just saying.
ItemGet  +   1018d ago
I'm British! Not offending, I'm looking forward to killing some brits! AC has always been about historical accuracy (within reason) and I'm fine with that. Can't wait!
FarCryLover182  +   1018d ago
Even if it is one-sided violence against the Redcoats... does it really matter? It probably won't be the whole game, but if it is, does it matter? Are people offended when there are games against Russians, Chinese? No.
Skateboard  +   1018d ago
The British were really Fuc### up during that time period and to many others as well : / so its justified if they look like the villains which they were : /
shackdaddy  +   1018d ago
They were no more "Fu### up" than us Americans are today. Everyone likes to hate the country with the most power. People hated the British back then because they had the most power just like people hate Americans today because we have the most power.
123_321  +   1018d ago
Cheeseburgers =/= Power.
adamant715  +   1018d ago
@greenranger

Lolololololol so clever
SeekDev  +   1018d ago
The country with the most power is only hated if it abuses that power.
TheDivine  +   1018d ago
No Americans didnt even hate the British. They just said that they dont want to be taxed without representation. Britian was looting the shit out of America and we had no say just like all their colonies (India, Hong Kong exc.). They were an empire and ruled over everything they conquered or claimed like the Roman Empire. We just asked for a few things that were fair. IMO it was a rightous war as most fights against opression or for freedom are.

Then again im DAMN PROUD of our founding fathers. These guys had real courage. They created the most signifigant document the word has ever known. They created one of the best governments ever. Sure we allowed it to be perveted by assholes, greedy sob's, and allowed a bank (the fed reserve) to own us. But America is an idea, hope, freedom, and liberty to the whole world. Billions dream of coming here where they can worship who they choose, how they choose, marry who they want, work hard and earn a better life for their families. I hope this game captures THAT. The IDEA of America and the hope that our founding fathers had for a free country.
TruthSeeker  +   1017d ago
Now that comment @Skateboard , could be taken offensively.
Primal Rex  +   1018d ago
Im British and it doesnt bother me much but a lot of people forget that the supposed "British" army was one third American loyalist who didnt want independence from Britain. Historys funny isnt it
#6 (Edited 1018d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
KarateLincoln  +   1018d ago
Don't forget about the hessian troops as well
Bathyj  +   1018d ago
“Inspired by historical events and characters, this work of fiction was designed, developed and produced by a multicultural team of various religious faiths and beliefs.”

I thought you weren't allowed to get upset if there was a disclaimer.

That's why they put it there.
PockyKing  +   1018d ago
Are you serious? Why would this question even be asked? I mean..ugh, that just bugs me. History is a virtue..
123_321  +   1018d ago
American, British, French....
I don't care where you come from. If you're my enemy in a game, i'm going to brutally kill you.
#10 (Edited 1018d ago ) | Agree(12) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
FarCryLover182  +   1018d ago
Words to live by!
LOL_WUT  +   1018d ago
Hell yeah Kill em all !
#10.2 (Edited 1018d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Moncole  +   1018d ago
Why are British people getting so mad? They had no problem killing Italiens.
#11 (Edited 1018d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
TekoIie  +   1018d ago
I think the point is that Ubi is actually making a big deal about this themselves. Look at their E3 conference where Tobuscus went out of his way to actually say British people are the enemy when really its the Templars.

"Let the patriots fight their own battles, im here for the Templars"

I instantly knew what that was referring to when i heard it at E3. I am not bothered by this at all but Ubi is really going out of their way to try and prove this.

Anyone remember the disappointment when this time era was announced? People were worried it would become a "GOD BLESS AMERICA" game with endless praise towards the country. Why is this? Well anything in video games which goes against America (MOH playing as Taliban) is considered evil.

I really dont care at all about this as long as it sticks to what its about and ends up being a fun game :)
#11.1 (Edited 1018d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
JaymizNMM  +   1018d ago
I'm British and not offended at all. Everyone has to be the bad guys in a video game right? Plus it'll be cool to see the redcoats.

Just wish everyone would open up and stop being so sensitive so we can explore many other opportunities in videogames.
Skateboard  +   1018d ago
Redcoats are gangsta.
jack_burt0n  +   1018d ago
native americans b4 whitey landed = 60 million

2001 = 450,000

yeah thats some shit no one talks about, cos its proper f**ked up.

you can kill us limeys and yanks all day and never even make a dent in our ability swarm and mulitiply.
stuntman_mike  +   1018d ago
I dont know if the history in this game is correct or not, but i do know the film industry has been re-writing history for years in favoring all different points of view.

i'm english and I'm not that bothered about fighting the red coats in this game (i suspect they wont be the only enemy, also the main character is half british whatever that may be). i would be more worried if they portray the british army as just one big stereo type, i find thats more damaging.
richard919  +   1018d ago
is that time period just skipped in history class over there? come on people its a game.

History - the branch of knowledge dealing with past events.

the record of past events and times, especially in connection with the human race.
Nes_Daze  +   1018d ago
If history is anything to go by, I'd think we would be killing more than just British troops in AC3. But as the others said, this wasn't Americans vs. British, it was a civil war basically.
bunfighterii  +   1017d ago
I'm a British Australian and I couldn't give a rats who they kill. It's just the setting.

It was like when there were racism accusations against resident evil 5 because it was set in africa

Will You Buy Dark Souls II After Bloodborne?

8m ago - With the amazing launch of Bloodborne, many players have occupied themselves within the nightmare... | Xbox 360

Why you should be Looking Forward to Crowfall

11m ago - It seems to some that most games are just a minor variation on the games that came before, and th... | PC

Front-end Developers Wanted

Now - Want to help us build the new N4G platform? | Promoted post

Scratch That Glitch

15m ago - GamingLives' Editor has a problem. With very little time and a desire to cause chaos in Los Sant... | PS4

GotGame | Gaming With Killatia Gaming With Killatia Tales From The Borderlands Episode 2

23m ago - Today on Gaming With Killatia your hosy, Killatia, takes a look at Episode 2 of Tales From The Bo... | PC

Amazon Video Game Deals of the Week: 3/27 Update

30m ago - Gamerdeals: "Amazon has updated their video game deals section with discounts and price matchi... | Nintendo DS