Comments (84)
« 1 2 »
Snookies12  +   678d ago
Sure the guy's games were overly ambitious and didn't meet up to those expectations, but I certainly don't wish him any ill will. That's pretty sad to hear that he's in such a state. Hopefully things pick up for the dude soon.
LostDjinn  +   678d ago
I don't think people wishing him harm is the problem.

For me it's the fact that I'm past caring. Pete has been talking crap for so long I just can't bring myself to care anymore. In fact I think it's gotten to the point where I actually switch off to what he has to say.

I can only speak for myself as I don't know what feeling others harbor toward Mr Molyneux though.
dudeOplenty  +   677d ago
thinking about it.. this is how i've acclimated myself to Sir Molyneux as well. he's like the racist old man in the neighborhood who you know is really passionate about what he's saying.. but it all doesn't make sense - they are taking our JERBS!
hazelprice6   677d ago | Spam
Red_Orange_Juice  +   677d ago
this guy is a joke, I mean Molyneux not you Djinn, what's the last GREAT thing he did, all he does is talk, talk , talk
gaffyh  +   677d ago
He over-promises, it's always been the case with him, then when you buy the game you're like WTF? It's nothing like what he said.

I don't trust anything he says any more ever.
Bimkoblerutso  +   676d ago
The man just seems mentally unstable at this point. You inevitably have to start interpreting his boasts and exaggerations as full blown lies. Once you realize that he's done this crap...with LITERALLY EVERY FRIGGIN GAME HE'S RELEASED since Black & White, you just stop feeling sorry for the man because he's obviously ridiculously delusional.

"Revolutionary" world altering events (Fable)? An AI companion that will make you physically "love" a digital character (Fable 2)? And now he's going to break down into tears because people don't think that chipping away at a cube is "Life-changing."

If you take it all in, it really seems to point to some kind of mental illness.
Godmars290  +   677d ago
Thing is, promised expectations were way too high.

The term "Life-changing" applied to a "game" that has you chipping away at a cube.

The man cant just say, "Here is a game. Enjoy."

That's what the man needs to do to get back any credibility.
#1.2 (Edited 677d ago ) | Agree(26) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
MikeMyers  +   677d ago
Pretty much. Let the game do the talking. He really needs to just shut up because most people have tuned him out by now. How about an element of surprise with a good game out of nowhere, that's the best way to get his credibility back.
bicfitness  +   677d ago
+1 (Well Said)

Nailed it. Its the proportion of hype vs. result that makes his games so disappointing. They're good games, solid titles, but not the world-changing, divine experiences that he portrays them as.
SilentNegotiator  +   677d ago
Since he hasn't reformed, he hasn't earned support.

I hope his kickstarter fails and he has to crawl to make it work. This guy needs a kick-start in the seat of his pants to fully understand how he needs to change.

This guy needs tough love.
#1.3 (Edited 677d ago ) | Agree(16) | Disagree(4) | Report | Reply
LordLaguz  +   677d ago
I agree, sometimes the only way to learn is to get hit hard by your mistake, and then struggle to fix it.

It may be harsh, but if he actually stand up after this and make something real. He will remember those tears as a needed life lesson.
Mounce  +   677d ago
Is it wrong of me to have laughed hysterically after reading even just the title of this article? Not even the article itself...?

I am not one who wishes ill-will or will just trashtalk him, but as everyone else says to me is true enough as is, that he talks out of his ass in exaggerations upon false promises over and over, but seeing this article, made my day with compulsive laughter, am I a bad person?
Danniel1  +   677d ago
Wrong? Maybe. Unavoidable? Most definitely.
Bathyj  +   677d ago
Poor Guy. Its clearly a medical issue.

Worst cast of Aphthae epizooticae I've ever seen.
Donnieboi  +   677d ago
Molyneux is a pathological LOSER. He loses at everything, and is incapable of admitting that he's just a one or two hit wonder. He's a crybaby loser who squandered peoples money and hopes through his kickstarter scheme. What a bum.

Turn off the faucet of tears, your a literal bum, Molyneux.
Leio  +   677d ago
Hey here is a tip dont make any promises ... How hard could it be ?

But the dude just cant stop hyping his shit
Perjoss  +   677d ago
I've never really understood all the hate for this guy, he's just an enthusiastic games developer, I have always believed that he has the best intentions when it comes to the gaming industry, he just gets a bit confused between the stuff that he'd love to make happen and the stuff that is actually possible within the strict time frames of games development.
Danniel1  +   676d ago
It's not because he's over enthusiastic that people hate him, enthusiasm is a good thing. It's because he's a fucking liar who makes wide sweeping promises that he never comes within a mile of keeping.

It's because he can help create a world like Fable that millions of us love and then purposefully focus on the things he knows the fans don't give two shits about whilst simultaneously ignoring the things we loved about it.

He honestly makes me so fucking angry I could scream. If he was talentless I would be over it by now but the man is so brilliant that the fact that he wastes his abilities time and again pisses me off beyond belief.
StraightPath  +   676d ago
has no one discovered whats in that box? ill wait while people waste their time and life away at this game and at the end ill just see what was in the box by a youtube video or somthing.
He has so much passion to make games. More than most devs.

He must have a great game in him that will come out sooner or later.
#1.10 (Edited 676d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
StrongMan  +   677d ago
This guy calls his own games crappy about six months after the release. Who believes a word he says?

Samsung Galaxy S3
#2 (Edited 677d ago ) | Agree(13) | Disagree(17) | Report | Reply
Muffins1223  +   677d ago
omg is so much bullshit.Drama queen.I am tired of him saying the stupidest shit know to gamers how hes going to "revolutionize " gaming when all he does is say.."im sorry,i lied like always *crys*"
#2.1 (Edited 677d ago ) | Agree(10) | Disagree(15) | Report | Reply
SilentNegotiator  +   677d ago
LOL, suddenly comments that aren't pro-Moly are getting a bunch of disagrees. Hipsters are so easily manipulated by crocodile tears these days.
SpartanQ8  +   677d ago
my Agree credit goes to Galaxy S3
#2.2 (Edited 677d ago ) | Agree(7) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
Mikito11  +   677d ago
Samsung galaxy S3!?..... Random
LOL_WUT  +   677d ago
His comment was spot on till I read the last part... Disagree
adorie  +   677d ago
Don't let LOL_WUT get to you, he or she is an extreme Apple Fanboy.

As for Moly, shape up, guy. You made Fable and can replicate that success if you just get back to your roots!
lociefer  +   677d ago
is it that time of the month again molyneux ?
Jinkies  +   677d ago
I'd understand if he you know tried to reform himself and not do the things we hate about him like calling his game after release, hype his games too much and lie about stuff in his games but he dosen't....all he does is use that stuff as a gimmick to make himself known, like what he's known for.

I mean seriously if he dosen't try to help himself then I can't feel sorry for him

Hell he was the one who wanted to make Fable the Journy for Kinect, everyone else didn't really want to and then near the end of development he leaves. I mean WTF...
Donnieboi  +   677d ago
Dude I agreed with you, but seriously Molyneux must have about 5-6 accounts on N4G, because that's exactly how many people keep disagreeing with the FACT that Molyneux is a bum. Molyneux's opinion of himself was so big that his brain had to recede some of the hair on his head just to make room for his inflated ego. Who can disagree that he's a loudmouth, promise-breaking, egotistical, un-reformed loser?

Now he squanders away kickstarter money -_-. What a bum.

Bubbles for you, Jinkies. Molyneux is less than a man--it has nothing to do with the games industry anymore. He's just a weak, loudmouth, grovelling wimp of a coward (personality wise), and i'm hoping this bum never finds work again in gaming(especially after putting all that kickstarter money in jeopardy when he knows he's got incomplete concepts for a game he totally lied about as if it were the holy grail of gaming to come).

And to think, just last week he was talking trash about other devs -_-. WOW.
#4.1 (Edited 677d ago ) | Agree(8) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
NYC_Gamer  +   677d ago
I think he needs to take some time off from the gaming industry and just relax
Hellsvacancy  +   677d ago
Exactly, he should just go away for a while, on holiday maybe, 5 for years atleast, then, out of nowhere, he should show up, no talk, no hype, no belittling other devs, no opinions, just show up at E3 or something, and just show what hes been working on whilst hes been away

I LOVE Popluous, I still play it, when im in a mood, it tends to relax me, thats what he should do, go away, get stoned, and play Populous, I know hes got it in him to make a decent game, he just goes about it in the wrong way

I wish him no harm, and its not nice hearing about somebody getting really upset, unless they deserve it
#5.1 (Edited 677d ago ) | Agree(17) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Mikefizzled  +   677d ago
A la Cliffy B? By the sounds of things its doing him a world of good. And under similar circumstances as Cliff is also overly passionate about his work.
rainslacker  +   677d ago
You're absolutely right. Especially after reading the last line of that article. Seriously if that isn't a cry for help I don't know what is.

Sometimes just taking a break brings things back in perspective. Gives you a fresh take on what your doing, and revitalizes you to realize why you began doing it in the first place.

Despite what people may think of him, he has delivered some amazing games during his career. Populous, Theme Park, Dungeon Keeper, Black & White, and even Fable. None of them were perfect, and none of them lived up to all the promises, but some of his early work was completely revolutionary and simply puts modern games to shame. I would love to see that Molyneux again, because he would be a shining beacon in the mediocrity that we call gaming today.
Eyeco  +   677d ago
tbh i'm not to big of a fan of his games, but one thing I can give him credit for regardless of failure to meet expectations is his ambition, he's a visionary an idealist, he really gives gaming allot more credit than other devs, and it's sad to read about him breaking down like that.
Tzunoy  +   677d ago
Wtf dude? wake up!!! searching perfection is like killing yourself slowly with toxins.
dredgewalker  +   677d ago
All creative people always want to outdo the work they have done. We are limited in our physical bodies but our creativity is boundless. No one actually attains perfection, but we can still see glimpses of it when we try our best.
strigoi814  +   677d ago
Lolz really? im not curious about his games anyway
SephirothX21  +   677d ago
Even if Molyneux over-promised on the Fable games, the people complaining are the idiots who believe what a developer says about a game they have not played yet. One thing I'll give to Molyneux is that he's very passionate about games. He could have stayed at Microsoft earning a lot of money but he chose to go back and develop smaller games. I think he needs a well deserved break form the industry and then he can come back fighting.
Donnieboi  +   677d ago
So what if he's passionate about games? So are the guys on Wall Street, but that doesn't give them the right to fool people into investing in things that will flop. Or to squander the money they got from government bailouts.

Comparatively, Molyneux did the same thing. Opens his big mouth, talks about things in a way that would betray any notion that he's learned anything about the industry throughout all the years that he's been here. And just last week, and the week before, he was insulting and criticizing other devs. So this talk about him being "passionate" is being confused with him just being a loudmouth. A person passionate about gaming, and criticising developers, yet cannot actually complete games, is no better than some average game "journalist" on N4G. Not worthy of being a developer in this age of big budget games. So, when no company wanted to invest in him anymore, he goes and squanders kickstart supporters money by making big promises he can't keeps?

You call that "passionate"? You must be one of those foolish investors in one of those games he's making, hoping your game will still be made. Because nobody with an ounce of common sense would pretend that they didn't see Molyneux's latest disaster coming from a mile away lol.
claud3  +   677d ago
Again, he still around in gaming

WHY
Redempteur  +   677d ago
i'm surprised ...

NOT !
mynameisEvil  +   677d ago
What is this, Wayne's World? Or are you five? Who pulls a "NOT!" joke anymore?
Sucitta  +   677d ago
NOT? you must be 57 years old..
Redempteur  +   677d ago
you people are too young ..

we , sages are not ashamed to crack jokes when needed

can anyone massage my back ..i feel the weight of the days and the weather feel cold these days..

anyone ?
majiebeast  +   677d ago
Hope it doesnt get funded he has more then enough cash to fund his own games, he is just taking money away from real indie devs. Curiosity sold 2million so he should be able to fund this on that alone plus he was a big wig at microsoft for years and sold 2 studio's.

Kickstarter is already attracting the wrong crowd who see it as free money which is a shame. Well it was good while it lasted.

Plus the man is a arrogant ass straight from the kickstarter rewards page. Chances like this to attend as a VIP with developers of the calibre of 22cans are of course extremely rare.

@Edge
Doesnt it have micro transactions though? But still dont make a free game and then after that start a kickstarter cause you could have used the resources for this game.
#11 (Edited 677d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(5) | Report | Reply
edgeofsins  +   677d ago
Curiosity is free on mobile devices.
Grap  +   677d ago
Just wrong your whole comment is wrong!.
godofboobees  +   677d ago
That's what being a biased prick gets you.
TemplarDante  +   677d ago
omG
Just F off Peter
BananaEatingSquid  +   677d ago
I think his games are actually pretty enjoyable, he just needs to cut the crap. Just tell it like it is, Peter...
konnerbllb  +   677d ago
Or he can just stop doing PR entirely and focus on making good games.
Mikefizzled  +   677d ago
If he didn't speak out like this I would have thought it was deeply in love with 22 Cans and his new career path. Didn't realise he felt so pressured.
#15 (Edited 677d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
strigoi814  +   677d ago
the problem is the game is buggy its free but a mess..and they are not fixing it and besides there are lots of games for free on mobile that are far more appealing than this..

If i where him focus on something like 3ds or vita games less developers less competition..and do it digital even a 99cents game would be appreciated.. Make a fable like of game and it will sell good
#16 (Edited 677d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Dynasty  +   677d ago
This guys a joke
Unztayble  +   677d ago
Dude might want to kill himself. I hope he finds strength and hope.
dennett316  +   677d ago
I like the guy, I really do - enjoyed the hell out of the Fable games, even the deeply disappointing 3rd game had enough charm to see off the problems.
But he really is his own worse enemy at times. He has big plans, big dreams, but he never seems to realise that the tech just isn't around for him to actually create much of what he promises. His over-exaggerations cost him dearly....like with Fable 3 and claiming that becoming King or Queen was just the first half of the game and that King mode was going to be where all the pressure of ruling the kingdom came to bear etc etc.

Except it wasn't half the game at all...you had a paltry few decisions to make and then the game just skips suddenly from day 100+ to the final battle with ZERO warning. Combine that with NPC interaction being dumbed down from even the simple heights of Fable 2, and you can see exactly why people no longer hold him in such high esteem.

It's a shame to see him put so much pressure on himself, he is a nice guy with a great creative mind. I think/hope he takes some time off to re-evaluate things and perhaps learn to be a little more realistic in terms of his goals.
rainslacker  +   677d ago
There's something about your example of Fable 3 though. It's highly likely that the developer had all that planned out and wanted to put it in. Unfortunately publishers today want what's good enough to release(most of the time). It's a shame that his dreams and plans don't come to fruition, but more than likely that's from the top, and not his decision.

On the other hand development time should be taken into account during the concept phase, and I don't believe any AAA game has ever been released that includes everything that goes into the concept. Things just get cut, either because of time or because they just don't work as well as thought.

I like developers that dream big. Despite what a lot of people say, his games are pretty solid all around. They don't live up to all the promises, sure, but can anyone really say any game delivers on everything they promise in today's over-hyped industry?

I do agree though that he does put a lot of this pressure on himself though. But a lot of creative people are like that. Sometimes it's good to just take a break or sit back and evaluate why you do something in the first place.
#19.1 (Edited 677d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
dennett316  +   677d ago
Fable 3 definitely felt rushed towards the end, so you could well be right. I'd rather have waited another 6 months for it and got a better experience though....so it's a little short sighted of the publishers/devs.
Sp1d3ynut  +   677d ago
I'm glad this guy is no longer associated with MS/XBOX.
Games4M - Rob  +   677d ago
More attention seeking bullshit.
Strakken  +   677d ago
Lets make a kicktarter to instead, ship Ol Pete to the bahamas for a year
jay2  +   677d ago
Well, he shouldn't have left MS should he?
BitbyDeath  +   677d ago
This guy is like a poor/unlucky version of David Cage.
David Cage also has massive inspirations and dreams however Quantic Dream are able to fulfill them.

He needs to recreate the dream team which was Bullfrog and buy back all the IP's if he wants to be successful again.
blackbirdi  +   677d ago
thats the price who use a cheap engine like unity 3d
spartanlemur  +   677d ago
The whole idea of curiosity was flawed due to one factor which Molyneux ignored during the conceptual phase: gain. When opening a box you know that what;s inside it belongs to you.
Anyone who played pass the parcel knows that it becomes less fun with more people. Curiosity was just a massive version of that children's game, and so it was rather boring (after all, chances of reaching the middle are stupidly low, so what are you actually gaining for your time?).
talisker  +   677d ago
The rumour is Milo killed himself after he found out Molineaux was his father.
DanielRCampbell  +   677d ago
Molyneux is one of my personal heroes. The industry would be a darker and lonelier place without him.
knocknock  +   677d ago
Satire
CalibriSerif  +   677d ago
milo might want to console that guy.
Blacklash93  +   677d ago
That's pretty sad. It's obvious the guy has a lot of passion and enthusiasm for what he does. Unfortunately passion and interesting ideas alone can't make a game good or put everything you want in it.
#30 (Edited 677d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply