Comments (68)
« 1 2 »
LX-General-Kaos  +   618d ago
I do personally believe that this is a letdown, but hopefully can be patched in sometime very soon.

Over the last 7 years I have grown accustom to the achievement system made popular by the Xbox 360. I had hoped that Nintendo would offer a similar system as standard from day one to avoid having to patch it in on some titles while leaving out others. I have learned within this current generation that tacked on options or accessories is usually not the proper way to do things. It causes alienation and unorganized style.

Though I will continue to support Nintendo and will take advantage of the Nintendo Wii U entertainment system online structure. I will also continue to support Xbox live, which is what I believe to set the standard of how an online gaming experience is done properly. Especially with the achievement system. Hopefully Nintendo follows down the yellow brick path set by Microsoft online sooner rather than later.

Rated E For Everyone
#1 (Edited 618d ago ) | Agree(17) | Disagree(23) | Report | Reply
Game-Modo  +   618d ago
I also find this a bit of a letdown but it can be patched. Look at when the PS3 first launched. It had no trophies and was introduced via a firmware update.
Jinkies  +   618d ago
...but why patch it in later, I mean unlike Sony with the PS3, they really didn't see the point of an accomplishment system untill they saw how well it worked with the 360 and it's Achievements, since it was a new thing and the first time something like that was added on consoles.

Surley with it being an entire gen Nintendo would of known by now that the majority of gamers these days like an accomplishment system and would of put it in from the start.

It's common sense really, it's not they're going to think "Oh people like an accomplishment system...we never knew that"....really
#1.1.1 (Edited 618d ago ) | Agree(19) | Disagree(7) | Report
PopRocks359  +   618d ago
@Jinkies

I remember Iwata addressed it. He felt that dictating the player to do things to earn accomplishments would detract the player from playing the game the way they wanted to. To an extent, I agree with that.

I think they should have introduced a system closer to Trophies or Achievements but kept it 100% optional for both the player and the developer.

Maybe they'll change it through an update as Game-Modo suggested, but who knows. For now, I guess early adopters will have to deal. Not a huge problem for me, but I understand why people would be disappointed.
#1.1.2 (Edited 618d ago ) | Agree(14) | Disagree(5) | Report
Jinkies  +   618d ago
@PopRocks359

I suppose but didn't they have stamps for Wii Sports Resort...that would of been a good accomplishment system to add or expand on.
#1.1.3 (Edited 618d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(0) | Report
MikeMyers  +   618d ago
I never understood the appeal of a unified tally of your achievements. The only purpose they seem to serve is giving those with more time on their hands bigger bragging rights.

I do see the incentive for a reward system on a game to game basis. The problem right now is not all games are created equally. We still have games that reward the player for simply going through something as simple as a tutorial. So when we see some guy (or gal) with a huge Achievement score or a ridiculous amount of medals it doesn't necessarily translate into the best gamer.

When you require all games to have a reward system what ends up happening is a lot of games don't have a lot of thought behind them.
#1.1.4 (Edited 618d ago ) | Agree(9) | Disagree(0) | Report
wastedcells  +   618d ago
I really don't care but a lot of people do. Surprised they would not include this because you know for sure everyone else is doing it and it's for a reason.
admiralvic  +   618d ago
@ MikeMyers

A lot of this has to do with "creditability" over "being the best" or thats how I see it anyway.

Like I had someone tell me game A was awful, where as game B was fantastic.

Now I personally platinumed both of the games he was talking about, where as he platinumed 1, but only beat 1 stage of the other. Now we know for a fact they didn't like the game, though would you consider them very knowledgeable?

Since we can see what people are doing, it's easier to see who knows what they're talking about and who doesn't. This is just one of the perks of this system.
MaxXAttaxX  +   618d ago
I'm more worried about the online...
than lack of an accomplishment system on the Wii U.
MikeMyers  +   617d ago
@admiralvic

You do bring up a good point and it applies to those who take the time to look into the details.

Back in the day there were arcades (they are still around but not nearly as much aside from maybe Japan). You used to brag about your high score and put your initials up for all to see. (watch the movie King of Kong, it really highlights the competitiveness of gaming) These achievement/reward/trophy applications try and replicate that. I see the appeal and think it's a great way to bring back that competitive edge for all to see. The problem I have is when they make it mainstream and make it a requirement. That's when developers tend to get lazy because now it's like a checklist they have to do before they ship the game.

Some developers put a lot of thought into them and some don't. That's why I don't think they should be mandatory. I do like the idea of sharing among other gamers. Miiverse looks to me as though you can congregate with other gamers and discuss it. Playstation Home does this too but the problem with that is it's a separate application that doesn't work as well as it ought to from the main start-up screen and all your other games.

If all developers actually put some thought into the reward system then yes, having it in all games would be the best way to go. The other issue I have is the legitimacy of how they attained them. Some people stopped caring on the Xbox 360 reward system because people used a save cheat and did other things. That's why when you have a system in place that rewards the top dog (in that case the highest achievement score) then what follows are those who will try and get there the easiest way possible just to see their name up there.
SephirothX21  +   618d ago
You are becoming less and less pro Nintendo and more and more pro Microsoft. Next you'll be sucking Sony off and then Apple.
garos82  +   618d ago
There is definitely potential in the achievement/trophy systems.it's a great idea however pointless.

For next gen I would like to see a reward system associated with all games, for example getting a platinum may unlock cheat codes, extras, avatars or profile images etc
Come to think of it even better world be to get at least a discount on the subsequent dlc they will most certainly feed down our throats in the future.the way I see it is if a gamer likes your game enough to get a platinum, at the very least give the guy a discount or even free dlc!
#1.3 (Edited 618d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
SegataShanshiro  +   618d ago
Don't mmind having no achievements at alI

Rated M for Mature
jsslifelike  +   617d ago
@Kaos

As crazy as this sounds, I kinda valued my Wii, late in life at least, for not having a reward structure in place. It reminded me that I played games for the sheer fun of it and that I didn't need to constantly be checking an achievement list to see what I should or should not be doing at any given moment.

That being said, you're right- you are technically getting less for your money if you buy a third-party game on WiiU. Maybe it's really not as much of a priority at Nintendo as we assumed it was.
#1.5 (Edited 617d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
kupomogli  +   617d ago
With as much of a fanboy as you are, I thought you'd praise Nintendo even with something such as this.

I'm not a fan of the achievement system personally. They do extend playtime of certain games for me as I play more than I would without the achievement system, but they've also brought less enjoyment from games to me.

So I recently purchased Assassin's Creed 3, only to restart from checkpoint when I don't complete certain objectives because it's an achievement. If I was to play through without worrying about the objectives I'd enjoy the game much more, but each time I tell myself I'll just skip it if I fail an objective, I don't.

I'd rather have no achievements at all. I might not play certain games as much as I would have, but I'd have more fun playing the games than I do worrying about a trophy.
s8anicslayer  +   617d ago
Yes indeed, people like to see things like scores accumulate when your playing a game, it's very addicting and keeps you coming back for more ! It's why my legance is to Xbox Live!
tehpees3  +   618d ago
I'm glad Nintendo isn't jumping on the bandwagon with this one. If you can't play games without them being there what does that really say about the concept?
BitbyDeath  +   618d ago
You do get a deeper sense of accomplishment if you get them all though, like you have truly completed the game as opposed to just finishing it normally.
SilentNegotiator  +   618d ago
Exactly.

And who said the people disappointed "can't play games without them"?

FFS, It is a STANDARD feature these days. How can anyone downplay the exclusion of a STANDARD FEATURE?!
Tetsujin  +   618d ago
I've gamed before achievements/trophies, and will continue to game even after they're long gone.
PopRocks359  +   618d ago
Hear, hear.
garos82  +   618d ago
I agree completely with your sentiments, however I don't see trophies or achievements disappearing any time soon.
Kyosuke_Sanada  +   618d ago
Don't care if they do, don't care if they don't.

Trophies/Achievements are not a must and definitely doesn't replace free in-game unlocks even though companies nowadays use it as such. So if Wii U games have more content to fight for as opposed to the "here's a cookie" system then I will lean more onto Nintendo's side.
PopRocks359  +   618d ago
It's definitely a bummer. I enjoy earning achievements throughout games (though I don't usually go out of my way to get them all). However, I prefer the feature being used at the developers' discretion. Forcing something which is, at its core, needless onto developers is something I don't agree with.
Qrphe  +   618d ago
I honestly don't care. It's not console-breaking for me.
JsonHenry  +   618d ago
I don't care one way or the other. But then again I am not someone who needs the validation of having done something (in a freaking video game!) by getting a trophy or achievement badge/points.
QuebecSuperstar  +   618d ago
I don't give a toss. I don't feel like I'm accomplishing anything when I play videogames anyway. I do it for fun.
No_Pantaloons  +   618d ago
I've never cared about trophies at all, but I'm old school so I'm sure the youngsters are going to have a fit over this.
AO1JMM  +   618d ago
This is not new info. It has been known Nintendo will have Accomplishments but it would be up to the developers to use it or not.
Deku-Johnny  +   618d ago
Nintendo announced it has an accomplishment system but developers have to choose whether to use it or not rather than it being a forced thing, it can only be a good thing as it means only developers that want the extra work will do it so we won't get stupid things like "Jumped 5 times".
Schawk  +   618d ago
Damn, i wanted the waste 3 weeks of your life accomplishment getting accomplishments that makes no damn difference,
i just wanna play games like No_Pantaloons i dont care
#11 (Edited 618d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(5) | Report | Reply
DivineAssault  +   618d ago
I like hearing that lil chime after i do something in a game.. Its a good feeling to get some of the harder ones & it extends the life of titles when theyre in there.. I doubt they will add it in later but im sure some games will have em like some PC titles.. Its not the same tho
dennett316  +   618d ago
I don't think it extends the "life" of a game, all it does is force the anal to repetitively perform a task they normally wouldn't do in order to earn a number that only reflects the time you wasted in getting 1000 kills with a weapon you never use in the game.
Wooo, how exciting.

I searched for all the hidden packages in GTA 3, and I did so because the game world was fun to explore, and I got in-game rewards for collecting them, not because some arbitrary score was assigned to it that ultimately meant nothing in the long run.
tweet75  +   618d ago
a "trophy" system is always a nice bonus. ITs a great reason to go back and buy last gen games on ps3 again as well as automatically adding replay value to any game. It would be really cool if a trophy reward system was implemented on wiiu and nintendo awarded club nintendo points for getting so many or certain trophies.
#13 (Edited 618d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
Stroke666  +   618d ago
I actually think it might be better for the way nintendo set up there system. Its up to developers to add if they want and its not put on a leader board or anything however should you choose to go after these accomplishment you could just post it on miiverse. I think would make accomplishments more worthwhile to those who care about it. No one has to go specifically to your profle to check them cause you can brag and since miiverse is integrated into the games themselves anyone playing the same game is bound to see the boast. For me it no big deal I go after achievments once in a blue moon so it doesn't phase me either way. I'm still getting a wii u and I'm still gonna love that sh!t lol
PirateThom  +   618d ago
Nintendo, once again, refuse to do something because someone else did it first, to the detriment of the console.

If you don't like them, don't try to get them, have an option to turn the notfications off, but this is something that is standard across two consoles, one handheld and services like Steam and phone games use on a game to game basis.
dennett316  +   618d ago
Not sure how it's a detriment to the console. Nothing is stopping anyone from playing a game to 100% completion. If you need achievements to do that, then how important to you was that in the first place?

Achievements/trophies are meaningless stats that enable people to more efficiently measure their virtual dicks in comparison to a bunch of strangers' virtual dicks....nothing more. Nintendo didn't include it because they don't see the point - people will play a game or not play a game. Will a list of meaningless milestones in a game persuade someone either way?

Also, who cares if everyone else is using some form of Gamerscore rip-off? MS came up with a dumb gimmick and a bunch of corporate suits with no imagination copied the idea...yay homogenisation!!! Yay to every company doing the exact same thing as all the others...that sure is innovative. Ugh.
PirateThom  +   618d ago
Actually, I never compare my throphy level with anyone outside of my own friends because it's a fun and easy way for us to compete even if we don't play the same games.

You may not like it, a lot of people do which is why Sony added it to the PS3.

Nintendo didn't include it because they can't see past their own company, if an idea exists and they didn't invent it, they don't want to know and, because Nintendo fans never criticise any assinine choice Nintendo make, they never learn from it.
JaggedCarpet  +   618d ago
Actually, they are doing it. They're just letting the game developers choose whether or not they want to include it.
PirateThom  +   618d ago
Which renders it wholly pointless because it needs to be a universal system.

If the platform holder aren't doing it or making it mandatory, why would anyone else?
#15.2.1 (Edited 618d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(7) | Report
MasterCratosKong66  +   618d ago
@PirateThom

Because they will be the ones that can make a good use out of it because it is clear from xbox live that not all games can. A great example of this is super smash bros brawl. The design of the achievements was tied to all of the unlockables and collectibles and there were plenty of things there to keep you playing instead of the only achievements being ones for every new level you beat. This way in my personal opinion is better because the devs who see the value and can use it well will use it while the ones who would otherwise waste your time with it will not
No FanS Land  +   618d ago
I would like a trophies/achievement system where about all the rewards are things that make you play out of the game's standard boundaries. Not just, story related and grinding trophies (ex: max out every weapon)
DaKnuckleHeads   618d ago | Spam
AO1JMM  +   618d ago
Majority will use it. Just look at Steam.
BitbyDeath  +   618d ago
If games didn't have trophies then i would not have tied a lady to the train tracks in RDR.

Not all trophies are meaningless.
#19 (Edited 618d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
dennett316  +   618d ago
Why not? You'd surely have seen it mentioned in a review or on a video online....and it IS still meaningless as tying a lady to the tracks does nothing to help you complete the games story.
BitbyDeath  +   618d ago
I didn't read them, or watch the videos online.
Still got a good laugh out of it.
PopRocks359  +   618d ago
@BitbyDeath

In all honesty though you could have done that without the achievements to tell you do it.
Qrphe  +   617d ago
The only meaningful trophies I remember ever getting were the ones from the Crash and Spyro games lol
Dan50  +   618d ago
The return of cheats maybe! :D
dennett316  +   618d ago
I absolutely couldn't care less about pointless achievements or trophies...what do they actually do for the gamer? They make some people play a game in a way they wouldn't normally do it in order to add a trophy or a few points to a collection which means nothing.

To be fair, it doesn't detract from a game or anything, but it doesn't add much beyond inconvenience for those few obsessive compulsives who simply can't stand for a game not to be fully finished. All it really is is a bragging right for the insecure or obnoxious - as if anyone really cares how many games you've finished, or how many online games of Tiger Woods you had to play to get 20 gamerscore.
SaffronCurse  +   618d ago
Trophies and achievements add in more game hours. It's not wise of them to not add an achievement system.
#22 (Edited 618d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(4) | Report | Reply
MegaLagann  +   618d ago
No achievements? Oh no, my e-penis.

But seriously I for one don't really care about this stuff, maybe you do, which is fine, but if I remember right it'll be on a game by game basis. Which may be a good thing not forcing developers to use trophies (like the whole Sony Capcom Monster Hunter Portable 3rd mess). Not to mention this is one of those things that can be brought in with a simple patch if people want it bad enough. So again, not a big deal, though people will certainly make it out to be, this is the internet after all.
ninjabake  +   618d ago
Good. It doesn't need one to be honest. It isn't like Nintendo to be a spitting image of the competition so they do things differently. They have an accomplishment system but its not unified its only game specific which has its advantages over a more unified system. The way they go about it is different from the rest it helps set the wii u even further apart from the other systems. Whether that's good to you or not is up to you but it is what it is the wii u is different and something that can break the mold if done right. But this accomplishment thing isn't a big deal, especially since even if we made a big enough fuss to make them have a unified system, the wii u has 1GB of ram dedicated to the OS so an update could be possible. But its honestly not affecting my gameplay at all
sypher  +   618d ago
Obviously a missed chance on Nintendo's part purely from the financial aspect.

People who own multiple consoles who like trophies/achievements will most likely continue to buy multiplat games on those other consoles knowing they can unlock trophies/achievements on them.

You don't ever want to give a reason why people shouldn't buy your stuff, so a failure on Nintendo's part.

I think once they learn their lessons they will end up introducing it next year.
attilayavuzer   618d ago | Trolling | show | Replies(1)
Tei777  +   618d ago
trophies and achievements mean nothing to me but I'm sure a fair amount of people will care. It seems like such an easy thing to implement as well..
Treian  +   618d ago
Nintendo is so behind in terms of tech and multimedia...>_>
Jek_Porkins  +   618d ago
Its a disappointment because I use Achievements as incentive to play through a game multiple times. Achievement hunting has also led me to some really good games that I wouldn't have otherwise played.

The PS3 didn't launch with Trophies, so I'm hopeful that enough fans will come out in support of some sort of system and Nintendo will listen. It wouldn't be hard for third party developers to add them, since they already have them for PS3/360 games.
mochachino  +   618d ago
I will make Wii U versions of multiplats less appealing. For many people, myself included, achievements/trophies are just added incentives.
« 1 2 »