Comments (18)
claud3  +   745d ago
GOLDENEYE 007 all the way
Eyeco  +   745d ago
IMO Goldeneye is an overrated shooter and hasn't held up at all, to me all it was , was those old 2.5d shooters only less complex and in souped up 64 bit graphics, coupled with the most backwards, awkward control scheme ever, great for it's time ,

But its influence on the genre is questionable compared to the likes of Doom, System Shock, Half-Life 1-2 (why that isnt on the list is beyond me)or even Halo.
#1.1 (Edited 745d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
Pozzle  +   745d ago
I'd say Goldeneye definitely had more impact on the FPS genre than the games you listed. Sure, it might be outdated nowadays, but Goldeneye was revolutionary at the time of its release. Not only did it prove FPSs can work on consoles (and that they didn't have to be half-assed ports from PC), but it also introduced many gamers to things that were rarely seen in video games at that time (zoom in snipers, AI enemies who patrolled and strategized, dual wielding weapons, varied multiplayer modes, a 'proper' 3D world, etc).

Doom might have brought FPS games into the mainstream, but Goldeneye proved that console FPS games can work.
#1.1.1 (Edited 745d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report
claud3  +   744d ago
You living under a rock... go back and rethink that comment
LOLNerdRage   745d ago | Spam
Dark_Overlord  +   745d ago
I'd take Halo and Left4Dead off that list and replace them with Deus Ex and Half Life.

I have fond memories of UT, shame the series has never matched the awesomeness of the first one since :(
3GenGames  +   745d ago
If Battlefield 2 (Or even 1942!) can't nudge one of those 5 out (only 2 that it could IMO) it's definitely number 6. And where is counter strike? And like others said, Half-Life?

Hate to say it, but multiplayer aside to a point, COD4 was one of the most epic single player FPS's of any generation. Shame it didn't continue that way. It may be number 7-8ish.
#4 (Edited 745d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
Blastoise  +   745d ago
Left 4 dead would not be in my top 5.
#5 (Edited 745d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
josephayal  +   745d ago
Good list but i think Kz is the best of all time
Yangus  +   745d ago
Kz is the best of all time..........(BS).Sorry yes,only blind ps fanboy.

Killzone 2-3 nice visuals,but everything else medicore.
Best series KZ1.
Killzone NOT blockbuster FPS.Once again.Only ps fanboy says this huge bullshit.

This list not correct.
Where's Half-Life and Return to Castle Wolfenstein?
#6.1 (Edited 745d ago ) | Agree(4) | Disagree(9) | Report | Reply
MeatAbstract  +   745d ago
I recently dug out the N64 to sit my girlfriend down to play a Zelda game you didn't need to wave a stick at. After I threw her off the balcony in disappointment, I decided to try Goldeneye.

When it starts your inner child, the one that got it for Christmas when he was 12, almost cries with delight. Then you start playing and it's all shattered. It's not aged well. I loved playing old games but Goldeneye really, really doesn't play well compared to what we have now. It's simply a case of nostalgia.

Also, no Half Life in the list? Shame on you.
GTRrocker666  +   745d ago
I like resistance 2. Such a good sci fi story with daedalus.
#8 (Edited 745d ago ) | Agree(3) | Disagree(4) | Report | Reply
Xristo  +   745d ago
These headlines should read "MY" not "THE" because I totally disagree with this list ... especially with no Half-Life in it.
#9 (Edited 745d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(1) | Report | Reply
LiquidSword93  +   745d ago
Mass effect 3. Even tho ppl hated it and it moved away from what made the franchise popular it's an excellent fps that I really enjoyed.
hilmart  +   745d ago
Quake is vastly superior to L4D when it comes to FPS.