Comments (57)
hennessey86  +   645d ago
For me
They can't come soon enough, everyone always concentrates on how much the graphics will improve. But you ave to look at all the other improvements we will get, A.I, physics, bigger gaming worlds for us to explore. You only have to play project cars for one minute to see how far ahead PC graphics are compared to consoles.
wishingW3L  +   645d ago
very true. 7 years is way too much time and current gen consoles already feel so dated that you play different games and they all are starting to feel the same. Hallways with enemies, a cover mechanic and tacky online multiplayers. This is how current gen is, or to make things worse, it's all about Call of Duty these days. Not even the mighty Halo can stop it at this point. Oh... And Kinect selling like hot cakes.

Console gaming needs to be rebooted ASAP! It needs to offer a new experience that can only be brought by new consoles.

And where's Final Fantasy Versus anyway? It will miss the boat!
#1.1 (Edited 645d ago ) | Agree(6) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
Masane   645d ago | Spam
pixelsword  +   645d ago
@ wishing:

I don't follow your point; to suggest what you are saying would be to have proof of games on the PC that don't follow this mechanic. I say this because PC development is not bound to the constraints of console development. Seeing that PC games still use the same mechanics you are suggesting are old, I can't say that that's the fault of consoles, unless I was willing to concede that consoles drive the design decisions of game development in terms of ideas now, and not PC games. I am willing to admit that certain console games have influenced PC games, but I still think that for the most part PC games are telling console games to look to the future.
pixelsword  +   645d ago
Racing car games are always way ahead of other games in terms of graphics, so I don't expect a car game to be the prime example of the overall capability of what a "current" console or PC graphics card can do. Right now, there aren't any FPS games or games in other genres on consoles that even come close to the graphics on GT5. And as good and realistic the grpahics of Crysis was, it wasn't a realistic looking as Project Cars is, even though FPS games after Crysis should have shown some sort of improvement in terms of graphics, which brings me to my primary case: exhausting the cores in a chip will determine how long a gen will last.

I think that if the chips in the consoles use technological jumps like the PS3 did the wait will be worth it IF the devkit support is better this time. Exclusive PS3 devs should not be the only ones with access to the best aspects of utilizing the Cell Processor.

The same thing can be said of the 360 as well. If true, Halo4 should have had games looking like that for a long time. As a matter of fact, since the 360 is closer to the PC than the PS3, every exclusive should be much better looking than PS3 games if the power is equal.

Using the cores in a chip if the future of advance game development, and the more people use the tired technique of throwing ram at a problem instead of using the cores it doesn't matter how long a gen will last because the root problem of efficient code will never go away.
#1.2 (Edited 645d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(7) | Report | Reply
givemeshelter  +   644d ago
You cannot compare 1st shooter games to Racing games as racing games have static backgrounds and the level of physics and calculations and size of maps, areas and interaction with the environment is not as in depth as First person games. Do not compare the two genres as they are different and games like GT 5 and the likes have zero interaction with the environment and set camera angles...
#1.2.1 (Edited 644d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(1) | Report
pixelsword  +   644d ago
I actually didn't compare the two, I compared the graphical capabilities of the two: there's a difference: If I compared the two other contributing factors would be at play, more than base graphics... like some of the factors you mentioned. Physics aren't graphics bound, for example.

Read between the lines, please. What I say can't be so clever that only one person saw what I was doing.

I mean, spelling everything out only lowers my opinion of people here...
#1.2.2 (Edited 644d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(2) | Report
DeadlyFire  +   645d ago
I agree it has been a long road, but as a fan of major tech. Power8, 3D chip stacking, and lots of little technology shifts happen in 2013/2014. We could be hitting a little to early for the latest new tech wave.
#1.3 (Edited 645d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(3) | Report | Reply
Jazz4108  +   644d ago
Pss to this article as the great Mr. Bassmaster speaks.
#1.4 (Edited 644d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
Cam977  +   645d ago
Of course! Maybe for Xbox, but PS3 is doing wonderfully right now.
Cam977  +   645d ago
Haha, you Xbox fanboys are sad - you know what you did.
humbleopinion  +   645d ago
Yes. 2012 was definitely the PS3 strongest year ever in terms of games.
Cam977  +   645d ago
Apparently more Xbox fanboys read this article justifying the opinion that Xbox has hit it's stride. Fanboyim is the only reason someone would thumbs-down your (and my) comment because I'm sorry, but what we've stated is an undeniable fact furthermore; 2012 has been amazing for Ps3, 2013 looks amazing with highlights including TLOU,B:TS and GOW:A.
humbleopinion  +   644d ago
Nope, it's actually more about you being a troll about saying the Xbox should be replaced and the PS3 should not as if it's actually doing "wonderfully", all while the X360 enjoyed The Witcher 2, Forza Horizon and Halo 4 this year - and that's not including XBLA.

My earlier comment was obviously sarcastic, since the PS3 had probably the worst year in terms of exclusive releases in 2012. Assuming the PS3 fanboys were intelligent enough to catch this sarcasm (you can never tell with fanboys), it's probably them who actually thumbed-down my comment.
#2.2.2 (Edited 644d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(1) | Report
linkratos  +   644d ago
It's not Xbox fanboys, it's people who realize even the PS3 is getting stale. Almost every game is a sequel, and if it's not it's just a recycled idea with a new coat of paint passed off as a new IP.
pixelsword  +   644d ago
So....

While I do agree that some people might think even the PS3 could be getting stale, I don't think that will prevent every game being a sequel or having recycled ideas, even at the beginning of next gen.
linkratos  +   643d ago
Devs don't like introducing new IPs at the end if generations. They would rather save it to sell systems next gen or introduce them to the new user base and lay the foundation for more sequels.
blue_cheese  +   645d ago
With the ever growing list of sequels, spin offs, and HD releases of some current generation titles, it appears as if developers are winding down on new ip’s. however that may be a broad statement given the fact Sony has been announcing new ip’s for the ps3, so I expect a bi more longevity for the ps3, so I doubt Sony is rushing to push the next playstation console out of the door. With Microsoft on the other hand, it does seem they are probably looking to release a new console in 2013 or 2014. And since Nintendo is about to release their next generation console, it looks like next gen is starting once again. But, no after owning both my Ps3 and Xbox360 since launc it seems about the right time for these companies to start transitioning their core fan base to the next generation. Although with an ever growing list of games form this year and next im not exactly going to be rushing to get these new console unless backwards compatibility is built in form day one because there are still plenty of great games coming out for current gen consoles.
#3 (Edited 645d ago ) | Agree(1) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
Pandamobile  +   645d ago
No. They're long overdue.
R6ex  +   645d ago
I can't wait to get the Wii U, PS4 and Xbox 720 today!!!

Luckily, I have a top-spec PC to tide me over for now.
OneAboveAll  +   645d ago
No. Sick and tired of this generation. Ready for a console that can handle more players online while looking good at the SAME time. (Keyword there is console not PC, for those smart asses who I know will comment)
#5 (Edited 645d ago ) | Agree(8) | Disagree(4) | Report | Reply
fatstarr  +   645d ago
the days of consoles emulating pcs should come quickly
for example a nexus 7 packs more power than a 360.
there are now full fledged pcs on credit card sized boards that have some processing punch to them.

the new gen should have came ages ago. its been holding back pc gaming for the longest time.
ShaunCameron  +   645d ago
Actually lower-end PC's been holding back PC's for the longest time. The amount of people who own higher-end PC's fit for gaming are too few and far between for developers to cater to exclusively. And as a result, games scaled down to accommodate the majority. It seems like even the PC crowd care more about efficiency than power.
ShaunCameron  +   645d ago
Not gonna happen with how bandwidth currently is for a lot of players in certain countries, especially those with rather average at best internet connection.
OneAboveAll  +   644d ago
Why? Seem's to work fine for PC games. Dedicated servers > P2P.

Second of all there have been plenty of console games this generation that have 32+ players that ran just fine.
DivineAssault  +   645d ago
Im ready to upgrade.. Im tempted to get a wii u but i know ill kick myself in the culo if i did & ps4 is so damn close.. im ready for native 1080p 60fps being standard as well as improved visuals & UI.. damn i wanna see PS4 cuz im already storing the needed funds..
fatstarr  +   645d ago
lol *insert pc comment here*

sheesh if you are desperate for that I think you would pick up pc gaming, it sounds like you drive and yearn for this when its literally right at your fingertips.

honestly if you truly cared about beyond 1080 pc gaming at 90+fps standard with improved visuals and UI you would have gotten a pc or gamed on it.

also ps4 isnt coming until Nintendo and Microsoft play their cards.
wishingW3L  +   645d ago
I can't play Yakuza, Uncharted, God of War on the PC. And even if they offer those games though Gaikai they will look the same and play with more lag on the controller since it's streamed.
#6.1.1 (Edited 645d ago ) | Agree(5) | Disagree(1) | Report
Bluenuts9  +   645d ago
Not trolling, just asking...When did sony actually announce they're offically releasing a new console?? Whats the release date (tentatively) going to be??
GribbleGrunger  +   645d ago
Are The Next-Gen Consoles Arriving Too Soon?

I'll answer this question when we know when they are going to arrive. You might want to hold onto this article for another year or two.
#7 (Edited 645d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(2) | Report | Reply
Adolph Fitler  +   645d ago
Considering NO next gen consoles have been announced yet, then no.....I wish Xbox 720 & PS4 were coming out in early December this year, as at least we would actually be getting next gen machines, rather than a PS3 with a tablet-like controller, a new outer casing, & rebadging to Nintendo Wii-U.
bahabeast  +   645d ago
im still happy with my ps360. NO RUSH
byeGollum  +   645d ago
Same here. To many games I haven't even played yet or finished, and so much content still be released.
R6ex  +   645d ago
Graphics on my Xbox and PS3 are just so dated ... compared to my PC.

I wish Uncharted, Killzone, Halo etc. were on PC as well.
TENTONGUN  +   644d ago
was acually thinking bout a pc for the arma3. but i would miss out on the console gems for a while. im staying away from the graphics whoring for now and enjoy what is coming on console. sounds like the pc as of now will ruin the current gen experience for me. so i guess bring on the next gen next year after the major releases
HarryMasonHerpderp  +   645d ago
I'm quite happy with current gen at the moment.
Would be nice to have a PS4/new Xbox but it's just going to hurt developers again with costs.
This is the best time for developers to take a few risks and try something different.
Games still cost millions to make and it's only going to cost more next gen.
Besides if you really want that bit extra in your games then just game on the PC.
andshesays  +   645d ago
PLEASE give it 2 YEARS because there is still much the ps3 can do, and dont even bother talking about PC I have one and yeah the graphics are great, but look its about next gen consoles

2 YEARS PLEASE / OTHERWISE TOO SOON AND IM SAVING UP FOR A NEW CAR ITLL BE THE LEAST OF MY WORRYS IF IT COMES OUT NOW
seanpitt23  +   645d ago
No I think 2013 is the perfect time for new consoles and I will welcome them with open arms.
sprinterboy  +   645d ago
Games like beyond, bioshock, puppeteer, sound shapes, journey, last of us prove we dont need nxt gen yet imo, but having said that looking fwd to nxt gen too :-D
segamon  +   645d ago
the gameplay today is great but the consoles need to be on par with PC's visuals already.
#14 (Edited 645d ago ) | Agree(2) | Disagree(4) | Report | Reply
HappyCamper172  +   645d ago
Consoles can't be on par with PC because of power and cooling needed.

But consoles should be more than on par with today gaming laptops.
segamon  +   645d ago
thanks for the input but i'm aware of that fact of course. i'm only refering to the obvious, which is consoles needs visual upgrade.
josephayal  +   645d ago
Next month
GameLord08  +   645d ago
No. By next year, the current generation would've already gone on seven/eight long years, and I find it hard to believe gamers aren't bored already. We're getting re-iteration after re-iteration, sequel after sequel and playing them over and over with the same experience is just bland, even with new IPs. Their recent saving grace is the introduction of the PS Move and Kinect respectively, and the former is only a more accurate deviation for something we first saw introduced in 2005, while the latter is a bit of a faulty experience. And both still have an appaling variety of games since their beginning. Sony and Microsoft can't survive on this repetitive scheme any longer, and they can't devise anything new after such a long product lifecycle.

As appealing as they may seem right now, Sony and Microsoft have evidently been stalling with their holiday line-ups and neither of them had any idea Nintendo would jump the gun and start the race in 2012. Research and development funds for both companies have literally exploded, signalling that a new revelation is nigh. And they also need to keep console costs low as to avoid a repeat of the start of the HD era back in 2006 - this time, consumers and developers won't be able to afford a massive leap in technology.

Nintendo are also still being dragged down by this, as about a quarter of the Wii U's launch line-up are current-gen multiplats, which is still something this season's "hardcore" gamers don't want to miss out on. Thus they are forced to replicate them on the Wii U, as to cater to all gamer's respective needs as they promised. We need next-gen games already, but developers are't currently willing to develop those solely on one system as they can't be guaranteed maximum exposure just as of now. This has gone on way too long, and way too far both on a consumer scale and industry perspective.

Let's just see what routes Sony and Microsoft go to counter Nintendo's intuitive prospects for the GamePad.
HappyCamper172  +   645d ago
I hope Sony and Microsoft won't copy Nintendo.

I wish they bring something different. As gameing need inovation not copies and sequels!!!!!

NEXT-GEN for me is new GAMEPLAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
garibubuprincess  +   645d ago
Considering they haven't been announced, for sure.
Stoppokingme  +   645d ago
I don't believe the next gen consoles are capable of making the same quantum leap in graphics that their predecessors did. Well not yet anyway.

Sure star wars 1313 and unreal engine 4 look pretty, but it's not the groundbreaking stuff that we've come to expect from next gen consoles.

Besides there's still plenty to enjoy this gen. the last of us, halo 4, watch dogs, far cry 3, gears of war judgement, Crysis 3, GTA V, AC3, etc.
Skynetone  +   645d ago
considering the ps4 will have the power of quad 690s, it will be worth waiting for
Megaton  +   645d ago
Doubt it'll even have a quarter of the power of a single 690.
Emperor_Obama  +   645d ago
This has been a very long console generation, I'm looking forward to kicking off the next generation with the Wii U in November, really hoping we see an Xbox 720 and PS4 next year sometime.

I know some people who were late to the generation probably want to wait, but the current consoles will still get support, its just that the industry needs new consoles to help with sales and reinvigorate developers and gamers alike.

I've been gaming on my Xbox 360 since 2005 and the Wii and PS3 since 2006, I'm definitely ready for some new hardware and software to go along with it. The graphics aren't the only reason I'm ready, I'd like 1080p, 60fps, better A.I, no pop in or draw in, no draw distance and more enemies on the screen at the same time. So I'm not even hoping for that much, just improvements to a lot of the issues we have now.

-I'm Emperor Obama, and I approve this message.
ziggurcat  +   645d ago
considering that we won't see the next playstation or xbox until at least 2014, no... they're not coming too soon.

anyone that thinks they're coming next year are only fooling themselves.
Megaton  +   645d ago
Should have arrived this year, holiday 2012. Instead, they haven't even been announced, so don't expect anything until 2014.
#22 (Edited 645d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
metroidfusion2  +   644d ago
Why are so many people idiots on this site and don't do research at all lol
Ck1x  +   644d ago
For those of us that bought into the current gen of consoles pretty early on, yeah this gen is really showing its age now. But its understandable for many to feel like there's still alot left in the tank if you've just gotten your PS3 or 360. Many will quote games like TLOU and Beyond as reasons to continue on with the PS3, but in the same argument these games would have made killer launch titles for the PS4 as well!
Edit: I see the PS4/720 being powerful systems no doubt. But systems that not every games studio will be able to afford development on as well! Nintendo is taking the middle ground by not only providing pretty capable hardware, but it looks as though they are going above and beyond to provide SDK's that are loaded with affordable software solutions also... We lost quite a bit of once very talented studios this generation to high development costs. This next gen won't be any cheaper as hardware becomes more powerful and games get larger in scope.
#24 (Edited 644d ago ) | Agree(0) | Disagree(0) | Report | Reply
AO1JMM  +   644d ago
too soon? this gen needs to end sooner.
StreetsofRage  +   644d ago
I'm still content with current games like Halo 4, Forza Horizons and next year's God of War but it clearly is over due. All you have to do is look at PC games and you can see a huge difference now.
bahabeast  +   644d ago
we have online play dlc and tons of tons of diff games, alot of studios closed because of this generation and alot of money was invested in this generation from both gamers and gaming companies. its really selfish to be demanding new hardware and wanting it on par with super computers. i can wait a year of two before a new console, i bet everyone can play atleast 5 games that they thought they would have never played and realli enjoy it. this generation got me into trying MGS, FINAL FANTASY, GRAN TURISMO, FPS. back in ps2 days i only played action adventure and sports games im more stretched out not.